We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

Iceland
Level Contributor
832 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

I will arrive in Marrakech by bus from Agadir in late evening. Please suggest me a simple riad for a night or two what I can find and reach without involving taxis or those charming street guides - just a place to sleep and shower in privacy. I would also like to know about public transport grand taxi or similar going to Ourika - from where do they leave and will there be enough water in the very end of April to be worth the trip ?

Or should I review my plan and come to Marrakech in daylight? I have been to Morocco before and did find it safe albeit somehow difficult for a single female speaking only 2 words in French

Edited: 12 March 2012, 15:05
Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Agadir
Agadir
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Barometre Marrakech
££ - £££, French, International, Mediterranean
Le Comptoir de Charlotte
££ - £££, French, European, Cafe
Corner Cafe
£, Moroccan, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

Sorry, if you arrive by bus, the bus station is not far away from an Ibis Hotel.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

Better to pre-book a riad in Marrakech before arriving - they will organise transport for you. The river in the Ourika valley at the end of April is reasonably full (because of the snow melt from the High Atlas) but the cascades at Ouzoud or the reservoir/lake at Ourgane may suit you better. Your riad will also arrange these excursions for you. See "Marrakech hotels" on the top left of your screen for riads to suit your budget.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Ourika Valley
Ourika Valley
841 Reviews
Ourika, Morocco
Hotel Atlas
Hotel Atlas
157 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

How much do you want to spend per night, most riads will arrange a pick-up for you from the coach station.

Try to stay in a riad in the old medina rather than a hotel, you will enjoy it so much more.

London, England...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

It's our first trip to Marrakech in a couple of days (2 female friends). We are going for 4 days and I want to be realistic in terms of what we can see in that time whilst also having some time to relax. We'd like to do a day trip to either Ouirgane or Essaouira. Looking on the map, Ouirgane is much closer. Would be great to get some insider tips or recommendations between the 2 places.

Thanks guys.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Essaouira
Essaouira
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

Both trips are very nice, with Ouirgane you will be back in Marrakech at around 5-6pm, if you go to Essaouira then you will be back in Marrakech around 8-9pm.

Ouirgane is a nice drive wih mountain views, you get to stop off at a berber village. Essaouira is a coastal resort (with a large beach,an old Portugese Fort and a nice medina area), the drive takes around 2½ hours each way, but it is a total contrast to Marrakech and well worth a visit.

Which trip you go on will be down to personal preference.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Essaouira
Essaouira
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

we stayed at riad dar dialkoum,loads of good reviews, its situated just inside the medina by the bus station, if you email laurent or muriel they will be able to help you with getting to the riad,its within walking distance and any trips, hope this helps...cheryl

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

Took a local taxi from the New City of Marrakech (i.e. not the medina) to the intercity taxi station on the outskirts of Marrakech to travel to Ourika which is south of Marrakech. Taxis work on the basis that you book a single seat on the basis of a carrying capacity of 6. This is accomplished by them putting 2 passengers on the front seat (it's a real squeeze unless both passengers are of slight build) and 4 in the back. If you want to travel in relative comfort you can pay double and buy two seats. Don't expect any of the seat belts to be functional. H&S concerns do not much occupy the minds of the average Moroccan.

Problem encountered at the taxi station was that the drivers told me the correct price but the manager, a balding guy who looks like a school teacher gave me a much higher price because I was a tourist. Watch out for this. Ask the passengers or driver what the correct fare is and refuse to pay more.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
8. Re: Easy to find riad in Marrakech and how to get to Ourika fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 07:17