We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

Hi me and my sisters are visiting marrakesh in July and will be staying in the Medina area - i have heard mixed stories about marrakesh - will it be safe. We are only going for 3 nights.

Thanks

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
617 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

This issue has been addressed several times.

Yes Marrakech is safe for 4 grils.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

Hi,

Look in the Top Questions box on the right of the page. There's loads of information from women who have visited under the safety/female visitors heading.

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

Thank you - found the information :)

cheers

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

Avoid wearing clothes that show your legs and arms, you will feel safer.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

Please rely on the many informative and informed posts we steered you towards rather than the rather strange advice from number 4.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

I dunno, shim. I think non-Moroccan/European women would probably attract less unwanted attention wearing something with less skin showing, and something loose as opposed to tight.

I mean, guys are the same everywhere, but some Moroccan men can be particulary creepy and leery (present company excluded, of course!) toward girls dressed flamboyantly or revealing; especially around the souks and Djemaa el Fna. Dressing low-key is a good idea when travelling anywhere IMO, including Marrakech and Morocco in general.

Edited: 19 April 2012, 03:14
Rissani, Morocco
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

Marrakech is like all the big Cities in the world , it look safe but you have to be careful , don't walk in a dark streets in the medina, and don't stay late in the new town.

Enjoy your trip

leominster...
Level Contributor
43 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

Be careful staying in the medina when returning at night. My friend and i have just returned and had a horrible experience one night when we were dropped off at a different entrance to the one we knew and then got lost in the alleyways. We attracted quite a following and demands for money were made. We needed to think on our feet and we went back out of the walls to a shop and got the owner to walk us back in. Not a pleasant experience.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

Yep Agree,

it is better to dress down a little as it helps; local girls get harassed by some men, same is true for non-moroccans if anything maybe more.

But with little common sense you should be fine and hopefully have a brilliant holiday!

Enjoy

Best : )

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is marrakesh safe for 4 girls to go

I actually agree with post 4 - covering up helps you feel less conspicuous and so gives you greater confidence. Confidence then makes you move more purposefully and so makes you seem less of a victim. Not just in Morocco but in life - if you appear confident and able to defend yourself, you are less of a target for opportunists that if you shuffle along with your shoulders hunched looking scared.

As I've previously mentioned many times, I would mainly have felt uncomfortable around Moroccan women if I was baring lots of flesh and I prefer to show respect to my fellow females. Although I SHALL be bearing all in the public hammam which will be quite an adventure ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech