We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Question

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, western...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Question

Hi,

I fly into Marrakech on a Friday evening (6pm) and leave on Tuesday night (8.30pm) - 4 nights total.

I'm trying to decide how to break up my time.

My initial thoughts were:

First 3 nights Marrakech then 1 night Essaouira then straight to airport

other option:

All nights Marrakech and day trip to Essaouira

A colleague who is from Agadir suggested:

2 nights Marrakech, day in Essaouira, 2 nights Agadir.

This seems like a lot of travelling to me and not usually how I like to travel.

I'd be interested to hear some opinions

There are 4 of us travelling together (2 couples) (first time Morocco)

Interested in the markets, good food, new experiences, day trips to get different perspectives on the country (hence Essaouira)

Thanks

Richard

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Question

3 nights Marrakech (with a daytrip to the Atlas mountains - either the Ourika Valley or Ouirganne Valley), 1 night Essaouira then straight back to the airport.

This sounds like the best option.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Question

It's definitely worth spending an overnight in Essaouira, day trips are so rushed and you don't get the feel for a place.

Your colleague is to be commended for his/her loyalty to their home town but Agadir is a modern Spanish-style all-inclusive type of resort. If that's what you want then you will enjoy it, but personally I'd spend the time as MB15 suggests with a day trip (or overnight trip) in the mountains.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Question

really like MIB15's itinerary. you will get a small taste of morocco, in a short time. Essaouria is really worth an overnight in MHO..relaxed seaside town, easy medina to navigate, and great seafood. the bus service from marr to ess is easy and inexpensive. have fun.

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Question

I am going in May, and making an overnight trip to Essaouria. We will have 6 nights in Marrakech however. When in May are you going?

Perth, western...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Question

Thanks for the responses/advice.

We have decided on 3 night Marrakech/1 night Essaouira as suggested.

Regarding accommodation...

I am looking at booking.com and cross referencing TA reviews and everything seems unusally high in terms of the reviews... i.e. Riads with 20 '5 star' reviews and nothing else...

Is this a trend I should be concerned about? How do you filter the good from the good?! We're looking for a Riad in the medina which will take 4 adults so any personal recommendations are appreciated

Thanks

Richard

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Question

You have to make a judgement call on some of the reviews you see. If it is a one time reviewer, then you have the right to be judgemental about it, but if the reviewer has posted lots of other reviews then the likelihood is that the review is genuine.

There are plenty of good riads in the medina of Essaouira. I have stayed in Riad Bab Essaouira twice (the last time was in March 2012), it is located in a quiet street of the medina and is good value for money. I have recommended this riad to friends of mine who have also enjoyed their stays there, it is usually better booking direct with the riad as they will be able to help you with transportation (or collection from the coach station) if needed.

The medina of Essaouira is a lot smaller than Marrakech, when you are there you will see what I mean by this, having said this, during the first few hours you are there, it is still possible to get lost !!!!!

Enjoy your trip and let us know how you get on.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Question

I agree that you should watch out for one-time posters to forums. Myself, we stayed at Riad Miski. They arranged airport pickup, got our bus ticket to Essaouira for us, offered day trips to the Atlas and other services. They were really kind but unobtrusive hosts. See my review. I can't comment on Essaouira as we stayed 5 nights in self-catering accommodation.

8. Re: Itinerary Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:16