We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided tours

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Guided tours

Hi All,

I'm just wondering what sort of prices are normal for guided excursions in Morocco. We have a quote for a really nice sounding nine day mostly guided trip going from Marrakech > Atlas mountains > Fes > Marrakech > Essaouira then back to Marrakech for departure. It includes nice looking accommodations which are highly rated here but I've looked at these and total cost for the accommodation seems to be about 700 Euros. We've been quoted 2000 Euros for two of us, meaning excluding the accommodation it's costing around 1300 Euros. Does that sound reasonable or would we be able to do this a lot cheaper ourselves if we arranged guides locally?

Thanks,

Bart

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,592 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided tours

Hi,

That means you are paying the guide around 1600 Dirhams per day for 9 days. That is an incredible amount of monery here when you take into account the government minimum wage (not that everyone even gets this) is 100 Dirhams per day.

You could certainly organise this for a lot less here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided tours

Thanks. It does include three days in the Atlas mountains and full transportation everywhere as well, a lot of the time by private vehicle.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 13:39
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided tours

Still far too much. Far better to organise your accommodation and tours from here although prebooking your initial stay in Marrakech would be my prefered option (a riad will have the best information) and planning your tours from there.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided tours

Wow! That seems a lot - we got back yesterday. To give you a rough idea we hired a guide for half a day to show us around Marrakech (2 of us) and it cost us 200 Dirham (100 each) which we thought was amazing value. The guide was organised by our riyad, was fluent in english and was excellent!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided tours

It sounds a little on the higher end. They are factoring in the wear and tear of vehicle, the cost of fuel/gasolene (distance/mileage to be covered), the money to pay the driver the money to pay the tour guide, etc. Speak with your tour operator and more importantly, shop around, as you want to get the best bang for your buck (dollar, euro or pounds).

Edited: 20 May 2012, 18:25
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided tours

You not need to have some guide or tour, if you have good guidebook and map over the country, you can manage all alone. It is much more interesting also, to search self, to be independent of other. You learn you much more also, meet locals and have more funny and, it is not expensive at all :)

You can rent a car, it is more cheaper than to pay for some guide/driver etc. Or you can even travel by bus, it is interesting and easy and good.

You will visit quite much in 9 days, as Marrakech > Atlas mountains > Fes > Marrakech > Essaouira then back to Marrakech for departure

think about that it is big distance between Marrakech and Fes and you travel slowly through the country.

Try to work a little more with your itinerary if you not want only to travel from place to place without to enjoy also.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guided tours

To each, his own... Telling someone to not use or go with a private local guided vehicle or foot tour is a bit off. People have their preference for how they wish to travel. I'm not understanding the mantra that seem to dissuade tourism in Morocco and for travelers to not use local tour operators. Bart W need to work with his tour operator or keep shopping around.

New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guided tours

You can usually arrange trips yourself at a much more reasonable rate. However, some people are willing to pay in order to have everything taken care of for them. It all depends on how you prefer to travel.

I stopped doing guided tours long ago when I realized the extra cost I was paying. I've been lucky with hotel bookings on my own and local guides. Trip Advisor can be really helpful in your research if you decide to go it on your own.

9. Re: Guided tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2012, 11:35
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guided tours

Where is the best place to organise the guides from? We are staying at a hotel (Le Meridien). Do the hotels tend to overcharge? Is there a place where we go locally? We are first time visitors to Marrakech, and think it best if we have a guide to show us around - just for half a day or so. Also, what sort of price would you expect to pay a guide?

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech