We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers to Marrakech

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers to Marrakech

Hi everyone

We're lucky enough to have the chance of a holiday in October & seriously considering Marrakech. I love the idea of going somewhere steeped in history & rich in culture, and this is on the bucket list for both of us.

I'm in a bit of a quandry as to which type of accomodation though, I love the idea of a riad, but as it's our first time I'm not sure whether we'd be better off in a hotel! We will also need wifi access & I'm not sure a riad would have this. I know this is a big ask, but any experiences you've had or want to share would be useful at this point. I'd love somewhere that has a bit of character, is really comfortable & has good food. Any advice would be useful!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

Hi,

October is getting busy in Marrakech and is considered one of the high seasons for bookings so you may be better to book sooner rather than leaving it too near the time. Once you have narrowed your choice of Riad down contact them directly via their TA review site or their webpage.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

I understand that you don't want to overresearch your trip but I really do suggest looking at the links on the right hand side of this page as they contain very useful information.

I also highly recommend using the search bar to look for posts on the subject of "henna ladies", "hassle" and "taxis"

Most of the complaints about about Marrakech come from people who went there not knowing what to expect or how to react to certain situations. They then complain of feeling frightened or ripped-off in situations that could have easily been avoided. A littlke bit of information can make the difference between falling in love with the city or hating every second of your time there.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 23:28
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

Hi,

Totally agree with LaLico. If I may I'd like to steer you towards the orphanages and charity posts in the Top Questions box as well as all the other useful information there and in the tabs on the left of the page and of course the trusty search box. Have a look at these on the Morocco forum as well.

Some people don't like these resources but a lot of visitors have taken the time to post their experiences and if you set the results by date you get the most recent posts first.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 23:36
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

I would recommend Dar Anywan riad located in the Palmerie section of Marrakech. It is a luxury riad with a pool and hammam. they have free shuttle service to the medina. We stayed there and also in the medina. We did not like staying in the medina because the riad was hard to find and without a guide we felt trapped there. Much preferred the Dar.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

Just to elaborate on look4fun's post: That place is actually named "Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel" and isn't a "riad" at all. It's a large house with a pool and property, but not a riad in the traditional sense at all. The furnishings and decor look very European; not Moroccan, and the rates START at 230EU/night for their most affordable room in October.

Personally speaking, as a 1st time visitor to Marrakech, I would strongly suggest staying at a more traditional riad in the medina. Most people easily learn their way to/from medina riads after a day or so, so there's no need to feel intimidated by that. If you're looking for more authentic character and great food, there are seemingly endless choices of riads to be found that fit this request at a lower price too (my personal fav is Riad Dar Najat which IS very easy to find in the medina).

Everyone has their own opinions about what is "best" for accom's, but I'm sure that regular visitors/posters here would agree that staying in a real riad in the medina is the way to go. There's is no "right or wrong" here...Just opinion. Happy planning!

Edited: 06 July 2012, 17:31
UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

I'm also a first timer going in October. I did extensive research before I booked and went for Maison MK in the Medina. It looks amazing and we've booked a tour of the medina, a half day cookery school, a hamman and a gastro dinner. - can't wait:) The owners are actually English and were really helpful when booking. I'm sure that you'll find somewhere that suits - but this place offers a bit of luxury in what seems like a crazy City!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

you are going to have a great trip..once in a lifetime..enjoy

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

Congratulation LaLico for the explanation!

Your post should be used as an input for the FAQ. This is a very common question.

regards..

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

As I too will be visiting Marrakech for the first time, I too found LaLico's post very helpful.

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First Timers to Marrakech

Hi to you all

I've just started to look into a 3 night break in Marrakech for October this year, I know it's no where near enough time to do very much but it's the best we can get for a break.

I must say "what great posters you all are!, "offering so much interesting information which is quite mind blowing but information like this is essential when your planning your first holiday to a region that you know nothing about"!.

I was thinking as a first timer to North Africa but a frequent visitor to West Africa that a hotel would probably in order. Now after reading this I will check out the Riads as well!!

Strange isn't it how we ask so many questions and rely on these forums for so much advice as it seems that gone are the days that you took pot luck and relied on the tour operator to give you information/accurate descriptions.

Still that's progression like everything else!! Well done everyone!

Many thanks

Breeze

Edited: 04 September 2012, 11:02