We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre paid Fair FX card confusion

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
worcestershire
Level Contributor
213 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Pre paid Fair FX card confusion

I have looked for info on the prepaid cards in the search box, but am still a bit confused. I think the Fairfx cards are a great idea and save quite a bit, but I am confused whether I need the normal card or the FairFX Anywhere card for Marrakech? Can anyone help as we go in 4 weeks and I want to get it ordered, all I can think about now is my holiday, I am so excited. Thanks ahead for any help.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre paid Fair FX card confusion

I suggest you use the Anywhere card as then the exchange is directly from sterling into dirham. You can use a euro card but it seems a bit pointless converting sterling to euro to dirham when you can just load up an Anywhere card with sterling.

You don't need to load the card with a huge amount of money before you set off - we load a reasonable amount and then just top it up via SMS if we need more while we're away.

The good thing about taking the Anywhere card is that, if you have any money left over, you can then either withdraw it from an ATM when you get home or use it online for shopping/paying bills etc. Or, just leave it topped up for your next holiday.

I have both the Euro card and the Anywhere card and it is the latter that I use in Morocco. I've never had any problems and I've used it in ATMS in Marrakech and also in shops that have chip and pin machines.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre paid Fair FX card confusion

Here are a couple of links regarding pre-paid cards that are worth looking at for anyone debating whether to use their bank card or a pre-paid one

thisismoney.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-2…

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

worcestershire
Level Contributor
213 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre paid Fair FX card confusion

Thanks LaLico

I will look at your links, I use moneysaving expert all the time but was still a bit confused. I think you have confirmed what I was thinking but needed someone to give me the confidence to go ahead.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre paid Fair FX card confusion

Don't hesitate to send me a private message if you want any more help.

If you apply via the link on moneysavingexpert.com, you'll get the card free and an additional £5 added if you top up £500 in your first transaction

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,749 posts
1,738 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre paid Fair FX card confusion

I have had the Fairfx Euro card and also have the anywhere card.

If you are going outside the Euro zone then the Anywhere card is needed. You load it and they will convert it to Moroccan currency without any loading at the time of the transaction.

The Euro card is good where you are going to France, Germany etc and you can load it when the £ is strong against the Euro, such as now as the conversion takes place when the money is loaded into the card. Its not suitable for a trip to Morrocco.

6. Re: Pre paid Fair FX card confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2013, 10:16