We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabat , Fes, Chefchaouen, or Essaouira, Fes, Rabat ?

Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
370 reviews
Save Topic
Rabat , Fes, Chefchaouen, or Essaouira, Fes, Rabat ?

First two days in Marrakech, then four days to the desert (Erg Chigaga), returning to Marrakech. I would like to travel early by train to Rabat, spend the day in Rabat and then overnight in Rabat. We then have two full days and 1/2 day before flying out of Casablanca. I was thinking we'd get up very early and take the train to Fes, spend the day in Fes, then overnight in Fes. Next day to Chefchaouen, and either overnight there, or back to Fes. Then, last day, Meknes and head to airport for 4 p.m. (or thereabouts) flight. I am open to ideas that make more sense, or being told this is too much in too short a time. Alternative plan upon return to Marrakech would be go to Essaouira and overnight there, then head to Rabat, not sure if we'd rent a car or go back to Marrakech then take the train. Then, day in Rabat, and day in Fes, before heading to Casablanca airport. Again, open to ideas, including no name cities or places that y'all think would be worthwhile. I have made a similar post in the Rabat forum. Thanks for any advice.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabat , Fes, Chefchaouen, or Essaouira, Fes, Rabat ?

What time of year makes a difference to the best options and please give some idea of your interests. Surfing? mountain climbing? trekking?.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabat , Fes, Chefchaouen, or Essaouira, Fes, Rabat ?

And... breathe. Slow down, chill out, experience Morocco rather than pounding tarmac.

Fez to Chefchaouen is 4 to 5 hours, so clearly not viable as a day trip.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabat , Fes, Chefchaouen, or Essaouira, Fes, Rabat ?

I would agree with Tim, you really need to relax in Morocco.

Spend at least a day and night in Essauira (try out the quad biking if you have the time), then head back to Marrakech and catch the ovenight train straight to Fez (relax there for a day or two), then take a daytrip to Meknes (or an overnight if you have the time), then onto Casablanca airport.

Edited: 25 July 2012, 13:39
Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rabat , Fes, Chefchaouen, or Essaouira, Fes, Rabat ?

You know, I appreciate that input, trying to do too much. Good advice. Thanks. December trip and we are in Portugal for a week first, so taking it easy in Morocco makes even more sense. Only other question for now, I'll look again but I didn't realize there was an overnight train. Enjoy, and come visit Texas, it was 103 degrees today. Charlie

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rabat , Fes, Chefchaouen, or Essaouira, Fes, Rabat ?

You say you "have two full days and 1/2 day before flying out of Casablanca".

It is not so much time you have for to go to North so I suggest you would spend those days in Essaouira.

Or go to Meknes and spend those days there with visit Volubilis, Moulay Idriss.

6. Re: Rabat , Fes, Chefchaouen, or Essaouira, Fes, Rabat ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech