We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech good idea or not?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Marrakech good idea or not?

Greetings fellow trippers, I have been thinking for a fair while about visitng Morocco & more specifically Marrakech.

I have travelled extensively thoroughout Europe/Anatolia & North America however I realise that this is a very different proposition, I usually travel alone yet do plenty of research in advance regardless of where I am planning to travel, I like to think of myself as level headed, independent & with a fair degree of common sense plus a good sense of direction, yet after reading the about the poor guy from Manchester I can't help but feel somewhat apprehensive.I note that many people have had really positive experiences just have the nagging thought of 'stupid Brit abroad'.

Any guidance gladly accepted.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

If you do indeed think of yourself "as level headed, independent & with a fair degree of common sense plus a good sense of direction" then you will not have a problem; it is fortunately only a few travellers (of the hundred of thousands of visitors to Marrakech) that experience trouble. Welcome to the Marrakech forum!

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

Welcome!

I fully agree with Pilobolus. If you have a level head and a decent sense of humour (especially if you are a seasoned traveller who is familiar with being immersed in "different" cultures) you have every opportunity to have a fantastic time! Just go with an open mind, do your research here on the forums or anywhere else there is Morocco travel info and draw your own conclusions from the experience! Have a great time! :)

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

+1 for me too. Don't worry too much about the guy from Manchester. He didn't employ the same self preservation techniques needed to survive both Manchester and Marrakesh (very strange) and fell victim. That’s an error on his part, nothing to do with Marrakesh. He’s a grown man who just acted like a fresh of the boat tourist who fell for every Marrakesh trick in the book. Read his post and just do the opposite and you’ll be fine.

In 15 years of visiting Marrakesh and Morocco I’ve never had the issues he described….basically because I just say no with a confident smile and a stern look in to the eyes and they move right on to look for an easier target….

If you want any advise on how to easily avoid the pitfalls of a holiday in Marrakesh let me know and I’ll post some previous responses to this same query.

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

I am a solo female traveler and I have been to Marrakech 3 times already and hoping to go again in the end of the year. It's wonderful! With some common sense you will be as fine as anywhere else. Enjoy!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

sadly, you do need to learn to tell lies as well. that was the hardest thing for me - but after a few days, i got the hang of it.

no, i live here. yes, i've been here before. i'm on my way to the police station - to lay charges against a fake guide...

:-)

pam

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

Don't be put off visiting this lovely place.

All you need do is have a bit of banter with those locals who are jovial (which is most!) and any who start to pester you will leave with a firm but polite 'La, shokran' (No, thank you) and an accompanying wave of the hand. Play the game with the jovial ones, telling them with a smile you've been here many times and have many things and have visited the Berber market, La Place and anywhere else they want to take you...they'll soon move on to the next person to chance their luck. It really is that easy. They go away with a good experience of a nice tourist and you go away without parting with cash - a win/win situation for everyone, especially you!

Happy holidays :)

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,758 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

i found all the people great, ok, a bit of pestering, but we kept our heads down, pretended to know what we were doing..and we didn't, and enjoyed marrakech, throughly. i think that some people forget that they are traveling in another country, and it is not like their home.

can't wait to go back.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

I'll go back for sure, and give Marrakesh an other try, but for 1 nights and that's it, Morocco is big to was your time in Marrakesh. I loved the north Chefchaouen and Tangier, they are amazing places.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

If you can laugh when you realise that your unique, handmade Berber necklace can actually be bought on ebay from China for 99p then go! If not, you probably don't have the mindset for Marrakech ;-)

The best thing you can do is research, research, research. The more prepared you are for the worst, the better eveything will seem when the bad things fail to happen. Learn a few words of Arabic, practice being incredibly firm saying "no thank you", remember to walk with purpose and act as if you live there even when you are completely lost and don't worry about standing your ground even if you feel very exposed arguing in the middle of the street (the young lad who showed you the way around the corner does NOT deserve 100 dirhams no matter how long he pesters for it)

Apart from doing your homework, nothing will stand you in better stead than a laissez-faire attitude and a cracking sense of humour - and when all else fails, get stuck in to a pile of sticky pastries!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marrakech good idea or not?

we also found there were rules - after a few days we learned some of them.

if you are being pestered by fake guides who won't give it up, head into the nearest cafe and have a cuppa. they won't follow you in. you can give them a small coin if you like. they will hang around outside, or sit and watch at an outside table, but the spell is broken. and if you are nice to your waiter, he will often get rid of them.

likewise, if you sit outside a cafe, beggars and sellers will stop by. a polite and firm no thank you will see them on their way - the waiters only let them ask once.

we used the same few cafes each day, and built up relationships, which helped.

pam