We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Currency in Marrakech

As I am travelling to marrakech for the first time in September I am a little confused with regard to the local currency. Can you actually take the local curency into the country but not bring it back to the UK or can you not get currency before you go and have to exchange when you get there? Thank you in advance but a little confused!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency in Marrakech

You can do both, take out and bring in but only up to a max of 1000Dh. This you do not have to declare. Do not buy Dirhams outside of Morocco.

All the relevant info is in my article: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293730-s601/Morocc…

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,649 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency in Marrakech

you don't need to worry too much. you can change money at the arrival airport - the rate we got was not much different to that in the city. just be sure to ask for some small notes and change. and don't change too much.

pam

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency in Marrakech

We took money out of cash machines....we also had some euros and pounds with us, just in case.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency in Marrakech

I always use a pre-paid Mastercard and then withdraw money from ATMs as needed or use it in shops/supermarkets etc that have chip and pin devices.

I use FairFX but there are others such as Caxton. I prefer using a prepaid card for safety as I wouldn't want to lose my main bank debit card or carry around large amounts of cash. You can top up prepaid cards via text message so you don't need to load them up all in one go before you travel, which I find handy.

This link to Moneysavingexpert shows you which cards are best as bank cards often end up costing you a fortune abroad moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

5. Re: Currency in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 11:17