We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech in May 2013

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Marrakech in May 2013

Hi

Could anyone help.We are four sisters going to Marrakech next May and we were wondering how busy it will be in the markets.

We are all over 60 so do you think we mighten't get hassled that much or do the people hassle everyone.I know they are only trying to make a living so I do understand.Anyone with any tips please let me know.

Thanks

Mary

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech in May 2013

Hi!

May is one of the "high seasons" for Morocco, so the souks should be brimming with tourists, but then again, the souks always seem busy!

"Hassle" is a subjective term. Read as many tips and advice on the forum as you can to arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible so that you will be as prepared as possible for what you may encounter. It's good that you have an understanding that the local merchants ARE just trying to earn a living, but there ARE some sketchy characters operating...

As has been written many times: Visitors either "get" Marrakech and love it, or don't get Marrakech and don't enjoy it. It all comes down to your own attitude, sense of humour and your ability to adapt to foreign environments. The key? Keep smiling, laugh off any odd situations, never be afraid to say, "Non merci" and walk away and you'll be fine.

Happy planning!

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
759 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech in May 2013

I don't think because of your age you will get hassled less. I agree with spmm that some people either get it and love it or don't and hate it. We loved it! We got into the bargaining, and came home with 4 rugs and some pottery. We did have a guide with us most of the time, and I do think that helps you to be less hassled.

If you are interested here is a link to my trip report along with pictures:

fromhometoroam.com/category/…

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech in May 2013

A bit off topic but perhaps a reminder to travellers about high seasons in Morocco. The Easter weekend next year for example falls on the 29th of March - after Christmas and the New Year this and the following two months are some of the busiest times of the year (as spmm notes).

However to answer your qustion more directly Mary I agree with the comments made above by both spmm and familyof4trav regarding hassle. A few words and phrases in Arabic and French does no harm either. And certainly I've had guests staying with me around your age group (not that I am far away myself!) who have encountered no problems. Enjoy continuing your researches!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech in May 2013

No your age is no defence and if like me (65) you are a reasonably able person,don't count on anyone being "kind to little old ladies". After alL it may have reached Marrakech that we are(supposed to be) the age group with the disposable income. After all we have managed to afford to get there in the frst place . I didn't find the "hassle" too much of a problem. I made an effort to look like I knew where I was going when crossing the square, learnt my way from the riad so I didn't look any more confused than your average "bus-pass carrier"and walked past shops I wasn't interested in with a "No thank you very much". I never met with anyunpleasantness only good natured quips but then I am not the sort of person who can be parted from her cash for something she doesn't want ..on the other hand if I want it....!!!!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech in May 2013

Hi

Thank you for all your information.Im sure we will be fine.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakech in May 2013

I really cannot overemphasise the importance of using these forums (as well as other sources) for research before you go.

If you know what to expect, you'll have a far better time than if it all comes as a tremendous shock. You'll still be overwhelmed by the city but it will be in a good way!

The links on the right hand side of the page are really useful but it is also worth using the search bar at the top of the forum and typing in words such as "hassle", "henna ladies", "scam", "guides" etc etc plus read trip reports from other visitors. In Marrakech, forewarned really is forearmed - but you can always come and ask questions if you don't find the anwers you are looking for.

May is a great time to visit - I'll be there May 2013 too insha'llah

7. Re: Marrakech in May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 22:17