We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us choose please!

BRENTWOOD ESSEX
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help us choose please!

Hello please can you help us choose we are looking to travel to Marrakesh on the 27th Dec for 6 nights, and would like any advise you could give please, where to stay ,nice hotel with a swimming pool, where to eat, is it safe, we are a couple in our 50's and would like a bit of sun after Christmas, we heard mixed reviews I think it is the kind of place you will either love or hate, it looks a very interesting place what is there to see and would there be any thing on for the New Year.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us choose please!

Hi,

First off you'll need to book somewhere to stay pretty quickly as Christmas and New Year is the busiest time of the year in Marrakech. Have a look at the hotels tab and also the restaurant one on the left of the page to see what is on offer then read some of their reviews. If any grab you try sending a message to a couple of reviewers to confirm your choice.

Type "safety" or some such into the search box for loads of previously posted opinions which travellers have taken the time to write.

A good guide book will give you plenty of ideas about what there is to see during your holiday.

New Year will be very busy and many restaurants quadruple their prices for that night.

You are probably right about love or hate. There aren't many folk who say "Marrakech was OK".

BRENTWOOD ESSEX
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us choose please!

Thank you I have looked at both suggested, was hoping someone would tell us yes that hotel and restaurants near by .

canterbury
Level Contributor
771 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us choose please!

this will depend on your budget and type of accommodation you are hoping to find.

if you read the reviews of places,narrow it down to likelies, you can always message previous reviewers.

i found the ones which gave an average rating to be the most helpful as they also pointed out the faults of places.

then book flight and/or hotel. or you can also go through tour operators which might be the easier option, then just check that the riad/hotel is what you want.

hope that help and good luck :)

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us choose please!

I'm afraid that the only way to choose a hotel/riad that you will enjoy is to do the research yourself - recommendations are great but one man's meat is another man's poison. I'll give you the "patented LaLico advice" on choosing a riad (which regular forum members should know off by heart by now!) ;-)

Things to consider:

- do you want to stay in the medina in a riad (I recommend this) or stay in one of the big hotel complexes outside town? A hotel will have its own restaurants but if you want to be close to local restaurants and cafes then you're better off staying in a riad as the hotel compelxes can be 15 mins away by car and you'd need to check whether the hotel offers a shuttle bus or not. If you want to stay in the hotel all the time and sunbathe by the pool then there are lots of reviews in the "hotels" link and you don't need to read any more of my post

- If you do decide to stay in the centre of town, what kind of riad would you prefer, small or large (ie 3 rooms or 15 rooms)?

- do you want a small bedroom or a suite with sitting area

-what kind of bathroom you like - traditional tadelakt or Western tiling etc

-size of bed

- whether you want a ground floor room or one on a higher floor (courtyard rooms have the potential to be noisy)

- if you have mobility issues, find out about steps/stairs and split level accommodation

-whether you want a pool/dipping pool/jacuzzi etc

-whether you want an in-house hammam

-what kind of decor you like (bright and Berber or sleek, monochrome minimalism etc)

-whether you have a preference of location within the medina

- do rooms have AC and minifridges to store drinks?

-whether WiFi is in all rooms or just in the main lounge/courtyard

-whether alcohol is served in the riad or, if not, if you can bring your own in

- whether there is satellite TV and whether it is in rooms or in a lounge

-what kind of breakfast is served and whether the riad can provide other meals if neccessary

-does the riad offer transfers to/from airport and will they meet you at dropping point?

- if you don't speak French or Moroccan, check that there is a permanent staff member in the riad who will be able to communicate with you in English

I know that there are thousands of riads to search through and it is time consuming but look at it in a positive way - it will teach you a little of the patience needed to enjoy Marrakech!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us choose please!

Be adventurous ad openup to Marrakech. It is a perfectly safe destination. I have travelled there for the last 6 years in a row and 7 times in total. As far as Riads go they are all very luxurious - certainly the best place for inhibited or cautious westerners to stay - but the danger here is that despite the calm and luxury you get - it is also pricey and often far our from the centre of the old city - the Medina. My advice would be - depending on what type of experience you want and what your previous travel experience has been:

Have a couple of nights in a riad or higher clas European style hotel - there are lots operated by the multinationals. You might like to do this at the start and end of your trip to acclimitise and de-stress.

In between - bite the bullet - pay to stay in a basic budget hotel very close to the city's Souks and Medina - I can recommend Hotyel Ali - Rue Moulay Ismail. Although basic it is clean, offers a good breakfast, evening rooftop buffet with unsurpased views. It also is right next to the Djema al Fna square and to be an interested bystander is incredibl;e and unique here.

Safety wise - be aware of the ususal details when travelling - pickpockets (wear a money belt), buy bottled water, rent a safe for valuables, walk with purpose in public areas etc. This said, even if you go in ion the most uninformed way the locals will be friendly and helpful andmore than happy to ease you into the authentic stay you desire.

If you want more info specifically on what to see and do in Marakech or in the Atlas Mountains - do contact me.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us choose please!

Hi,

Number 5 is wrong to say Riads are outside of the medina, the medina is exactly where the vast majority of Riads are situated either within a few minutes of the square or a little walk away. Riads are also not all high end luxury (though there are many that are) so with a bit of research you can find one to suit most budgets.

BRENTWOOD ESSEX
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help us choose please!

Thank you for all the replies and have helped us, looking forwards and will take on board all of your advice.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help us choose please!

as for new year's eve, it might be a good idea to e-mail your 'short-list' riads, and ask if they are planning any special meals for that occasion. you can also ask the likely cost. most reviewers of riads seem to eat in at least once during their stay, and enjoy it. i know we did.

pam

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help us choose please!

Look at Naturally Morocco website. They have photos of riads across all budgets.

10. Re: Help us choose please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2012, 15:29
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech