We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from London to Marrakech

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Train from London to Marrakech

I am planning to travel from London to Marrakech by train with a few stops on the way. I have fourteen days so plan a few stops on the way.

Any tips from people who have made this trip

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from London to Marrakech

Erm, there is no rail link under the Mediterranean or Atlantic to link Europe to Morocco nor is there a suspension bridge.

You can go to France on the Eurostar and then proceed to Spain but as for the rest you will get a ferry from Algeciras or Tarifa in Spain to Tanger in Morocco. From there you get a train from Tanger to Marrakech.

Simple but much of your 14 days will be taken up on land by rail travel.

England, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from London to Marrakech

Good advice from John. With so many direct flights from London to Marrakech cheaper than train travel, which would allow you more holiday time in Morocco, unless you don't like flying. When I was a student long ago, I travelled with an Inter-rail card between Scotland and Morocco in 1980, paid extra for the ferry. I have also done return COACH journeys from Glasgow-London-Paris-Lyon-Casablanca. An adventure at the time and good memories mostly but it's not for the faint-hearted!

Edited: 30 August 2012, 16:09
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from London to Marrakech

Yes obviously knew about the ferry. Quite happy to spend a few days travelling by train and ferry as I am looking forward to seeing a little of Spain on the way. I tend to enjoy the journey as much as the destination and not sure I want or need more than a few days in Marrakech itself. Would you agree?. Have you actually made the overland trip yourse?l. I know it is possible to do in a little over 48 hours but I am planning a few stops on the way

England, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from London to Marrakech

Trains are more comfortable than they were 30 years ago and as you say the journey is all part of the holiday. It took us 2 days by train and another time 3 days by coach. The main thing is to be very security conscious of your belongings, particularly if you plan to catch any sleep on a train. We had instances in Spain (although it could happen anywhere) of bags being cut and my brother's girlfriend had her things stolen from her rucksack which was next to her while she was asleep in a carriage. A few days in Marrakech would be enough, I don't call it mad Marrakech for nothing!

Edited: 30 August 2012, 17:21
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from London to Marrakech

All you need to know, have fun: http://www.seat61.com/Morocco.htm

Edited: 30 August 2012, 17:50
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from London to Marrakech

Did you make the Marrakesh trip Jackie? We are thinking of ding something similar next year!

7. Re: Train from London to Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 August 2013, 19:52
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from London to Marrakech

6. Its a great trip, I did it this year, with stops in Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Granada and Tangier en route. If you want a great adventure, with 36 hours in each city, its unbelieveable fun.

9. Re: Train from London to Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 05:17