We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be renting a car to drive from Marrakech to Erg Chebbi in October. We have 5 days for the trip. The 5 days includes a overnight camel trek to Erg Chebbi.

On the way to Erg Chebbi, we are planning on traveling through the Dades Valley. We are planning on the first day from Marrakech -> Imi-n-Ifri -> Ait Benhaddou -> Skoura Oasis -> overnight in Dades or Todra Gorgo.

Is this to much in one day? Is it worth a stop in the Valley of the Roses in October? Which is better Dades Gorgo or Todra Gorge?

Day two we are planning on spending just hiking around either Dades or Toda Gorge.

Day three we are planning on driving to Merzouga and then doing hte overnight camel tour to to Erg Chebbi

Day four we are planning on taking the route to Marrakech through Draa Valley. We are thinking of stoping in Alnif and then spending the night in Agdz.

Day Five driving back to Marrakech.

Are this a routes feasible? Are we picking the best overnight stops or should we pick another place? What is the approximate drive time between each? Are we missing any good places to stop?

Thank you for the help with our questions. We have been looking forward to this trip for a long time and are really excited.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

Ait Benhaddou is out of the way for day 1, so suggest you visit there on day 5 instead.

Allowing for time to walk down through the Imi and stopping for photos elsewhere along the route, it's pushing it to get to the Dades and I'd suggest you stop at http://www.kasbahitran.com/ to the north of El Kelaa M'Gouna. When you get to El Kelaa, take the only big wide street on the left and carry on for about 7km. Some pics of the overall route:

morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ69HeI1DV0

Day 2 visit the Dades: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

and Todra: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/… where Auberge Le Festival is an interesting choice with a variety of walking routes laid out by the owner, http://www.aubergelefestival-todragorge.com/

Day 5 visit Ait Benhaddou then drive north to the Telouet Kasbah, morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

2. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2012, 01:14
Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

I haven't done the trip yet but but I can give you our timetable for comparison, if that would help? We're doing a bit of a circuitous route because we specifically want to stay in an astronomy hotel in Tinfou on the return journey. We're also not going to be doing the driving ourselves, so take that into account! You may well not want to cover the same distances per day as an experienced driver - Tim's advice is always spot on with anything concerning distances.

This is the preliminary schedule agreed with our driver. We are having two nights in a desert tent camp (we've not chosen our camp yet) and we might also be extending the trip by an extra night depending on flight times - following the trip we'll be staying just outside Marrakech for a week to recover!

Day 1: Marrakech – Tizi-N-Tichka pass - Skoura - Kelaa M'Gouna (http://www.kasbahitran.com/)

Day 2: El Kelaa M’Gouna/Boumalne de Dades - Tineghir - Todra Gorge - Erfoud – Merzouga (overnight in bivouac)

Day 3: tour of Merzouga, Erg Chebbi dunes, Taouz rock art, mountain fossil area, Dayet Sriji salt lake fossils etc (overnight in bivouac)

Day 4:Merzouga - Rissani - Alnif - N'Kob – Zagora- Tamegroute – Tinfou (http://www.hotel-sahara.com/hotel/)

Day 5: Tamegroute - Zagora - Tamenougalt Kasbah - Agdz - Ait Saoun – Ouarzazate – Oasis Fint (www.terrassedesdeliceshotelouarzazate.com/)

Day 6: Oasis Fint - Ouarzazate – Ait BenHaddou - Kasbah of Telouet - Tizi N'Tichka Pass – Marrakech

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope you have an amazing trip and let us know how it goes.

Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

Thank you all for this information. It has been very helpful. Looking at maps, there is a road from Demnate to Skoura. We are thinking about taking this road from Imi-n-Ifri to Skoura, so we don't have to drive back to Marrakech. Do you know what the name of this road is, how long it will take and if it is in condition for a car without a 4 wheel drive?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

I don't have my maps to hand but I think it's the R307. Some photos (heading north) at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

Yes, it was the R307. Don't be put off by the photos of the debris on the road, this stretch is short and perfectly passable by 2WD vehicles.

I've ridden this route on my motorbike maybe half a dozen times and it's a lovely way to cross the High Atlas with very little traffic. No fuel enroute (that I can remember) so refuel in Demnate if necessary.

Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

Hello! I just want to ask what the name of that winding road in the dades gorge? And how to get there from Kelaa M'Gouna? Thanks!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

North west on the main road from El Kelaa M'Gouna to Boumalne du Dades, and then turn north signposted 'M'semrir 63km'. It's probably about 25-30km along that road.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,986 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

I not only understand why almost every one have so hurry through Erg Chebbi. I mean why they stay there only one night in sand dunes and then they are rushing away while there in the area is so much other interesting things or places to visit and enjoy.

Why not stay 2 nights and go around to explore the area, like to go to Kfiroun - mountain near Taouz and look at old painting in the rock, see the lake, mineral mines in M'Fis and other. Then on the way back from Erg Chebbi visit Rissani with the genuine souk, nice kasbah in center there etc.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 16:02
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - Route

Hello! This thread is perfect for my trip from Marrakech to Merzouga and back. While I'm at it, might as well ask you, if you can help me, how do I get to the windy passage of dades gorge? does it continue to todra gorge? I'm asking because I'm driving myself from Marrakech to Mergouza and back to Marrakech for 4 nights 5 days. I plan on stopping at Kalaa M Gouna on my first night, then 2nd night, in Todra Gorge, after driving from Dades Gorge (if it connects, and if its worth the drive). Then off to Merzouga and the desert on my 3rd night, for my 4th night, I plan to take the zagora-agdz route (Draa valley) going back to Marrakech, spending a night somewhere in between.

So my only question is, is it possible/worth it, spend my 2nd day and night to drive from Kalaa M Gouna through Dades Gorge to Todra Gorge and make it in time to reach Merzouga for the camel trip to Chebbi. Thank you and good day!

Edited: 17 July 2013, 16:06