We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

Hi all,

I bought a silver teapot from the souks and the salesman told me it was for drinking purposes. Except now that I look at it, the inside of the teapot doesn't look like it is good quality and there's some white residue near the spout. How do I know if it's safe to drink from? I don't want to get poisoned or anything.. Thank you! :)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

A white residue could indicate lead oxide (could be other things too, but that's the obvious one). Use as a decorative object would be my advice.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

A friend of mine bought a "silver" teapot for arounf 500Dh recently in Marrakech. Sounds very similar in description and I certainly don't believe it is silver.

Silver, even in Morocco, should have a hallmark of some description I am led to understand.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

take it to a jeweler...they can test it if you want to find out.

Miami
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

500 dhs for silver teapot,i dont think so, its really cheap, i got real silver bracelet for 2000dhs

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

I'd guess Sophie meant silver coloured metal rather than a real silver teapot?

Sad but true, if you want to buy a working teapot you are best to get one from a supermarket or one of the kitchen shops behind the plant sellers on the square where locals buy their kitchenware rather than the decorative ones in the souks (I made this mistake years ago and my beautiful teapot's wee feet melted off on top of the gas hob ;-)

NZ
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

The insides of many of the more decorative and inexpensive teapots are usually coated tin and not suitable for tea making. Use it as a pretty watering can rather than risk your health.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

Thanks guys! I wish I researched before buying a teapot.. They would say anything in the souks to get your business!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

just keep it as a beautiful reminder of your great trip...

9. Re: Bought a teapot- safe to drink from it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 10:16