We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crisp bank notes

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Crisp bank notes

Is it true I have to take brand new sterling notes into Morocco?

I dont get that :) surely the hotel will take older notes

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crisp bank notes

Notes do not have to be crisp as though just printed. They just need to be free of tears or ink marks. As long as they are clean they will be accepted.

The rule of clean, tear free notes applies to banks, airport Bureau de Change, hotels, riads etc etc.

If you haven't read the article on currency, here it is:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293730-s601/Morocc…

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crisp bank notes

They dont have to crisp, as John said just make sure they are not ripped.

In 8 visits to Morocco, I have never had a problem with old bank notes but other people on this forum have reported some problems with really old notes (or notes that have pen marks on them).

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crisp bank notes

Cheers - Ive just taken out the marked notes,what a kerfuffle eh? :) maybe I should "launder" them lol

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,484 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crisp bank notes

Hi Keith,

The funny thing is when you get here many of the 20 Dirham notes you will get in change are almost falling apart ;-)

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crisp bank notes

Keith - are you talking about paying the hotel in sterling or changing sterling into dirhams at the hotel?

Personally i find it much easier to use a prepaid Mastercard and then use ATMs around Marrakech.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crisp bank notes

Changing stirling into MAD's at the hotel

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crisp bank notes

Check your exchange rate. Some hotels give really poor exchange rate compared to the banks in Marrakech.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crisp bank notes

Change your sterling into MAD at the airport banks, there are 4 or 5 of them just after you leave the baggage hall (dont bother to queue for the Bureau de Change in the baggage hall). The rates at the banks are amongst the best you will get and there is no commission to pay.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crisp bank notes

Thanks everyone!

10. Re: Crisp bank notes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 05:17