We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish in Marrakech

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Fish in Marrakech

Shortly arriving in Marrakech. Very happy to eat traditional Moroccan food, tagines etc. Also love to eat fish. Have been advised by a friend who visited Marrakech in February it is not a good idea to eat fish, she thinks its not safe and could cause tummy upsets. Any one else share this view? Can anyone recommend a good fish restaurant?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish in Marrakech

I have no idea where your friend got the idea that eating fish in Marrakech is not a good idea. Fish and other seafood is transported from the Atlantic coast every night in refrigerated lorries from each day's catch. A wide variety is available and I consume it once a week without any problem. For a cheap local cafe check out Rue Bab Doukkala (use the search box for details), the Kosybar for sushi and sashimi, Riad des Mers (all in the medina) and Puerto Banus in Guilez.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish in Marrakech

Agree with the comment above, the fish in Marrakech is pretty good.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish in Marrakech

fresh and cheap fish is available daily on Boulevard Moulay R"chid behind the post office in the new town. Most of the clents are locals

LONDON
Level Contributor
234 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish in Marrakech

North Africans love fish, especially sardines. I found some local places near the streets by the old medina walls.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish in Marrakech

In the evenings stall 14 in the Djmaa el Fna has good calamari and fried fish. It's always packed and if you que you won't get a seat, you have to fight your way in when you see an empty place. It's really inexpensive and you get a lot.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish in Marrakech

Mmmm best fish and chips ever in Marrakech! You don't get a big plate of mixed fried fish, prawns and calamari down my local chippy, I can tell you that.

If you haven't already started, you should begin taking a strong prebiotic daily. Get one with a range of various strains of bacteria (not those little pots of yoghurt drink which do nothing) and take it before, during and just after you get back from your holiday. There are lots of them around, some specifically targeted at travellers and others which aren't but do the same thing. I use Prebio7 and Optibac Travel but you can pick whichever you like.

You also need to remember to wash your hands as often as possible whilst away. Nothing has more germs on it than money and you will be handling that a LOT, so take a bottle of antibacterial spray to carry around with you. Use it before you eat and after touching anything that may be carrying bugs - a thorough wash with hot and water and soap is just as good as the spray but not always as easy to find when you're out and about.

I'm severely immnue suppressed and, despite constantly forgetting to clean my hands after playing with street cats then picking up bread to eat, I've never been remotely ill in Marrakech.

Eat fish (and everything else!) to your heart's content and have a great time

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,241 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish in Marrakech

Sinbad.

Many of us get upset tummies abroad. Its not always the food.

When we eat out abroad .we usually choose restaurants that are busy,and /or used by locals.

LaLoco

<despite constantly forgetting to clean my hands after playing with street cats then picking up bread to eat, I've never been remotely ill >

Well i would not want to follow you in the buffet queue.

Bugs can be passed on through handling food tongs etc

Please was your hands,folks, before dining:)

Edited: 22 September 2012, 09:11
Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish in Marrakech

I can't imagine why I'd be at a buffet in Marrakech! Be assured that I have never been to a buffet in Morocco, clerryjungle, and the only bread I ever pick up is the stuff that goes directly in my mouth.

My point about carrying hand spray is that you don't have access to hot water and soap when you are eating soup from a cart down an alley. You can rinse your hands with bottled water but spray is better.

I also don't advise playing with the cats as they can carry fleas, mites and hookworm etc. However, it seems that whenever I stop to coo at kittens, someone scoops one up and puts it in my hands. I'm currently nursing a black eye and split eyelid from where one of my own rescue cats punched me in the face (apparently it's MY fault that the vet stuck a thermometer where the sun doesn't shine) so you could say I'm a bit if a sucker when it comes to our feline friends.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,241 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish in Marrakech

Good advice

Make sure you wash your hands after playing with the kittens!

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fish in Marrakech

I also eat fish at the cafes on Boulevard Moulay Rachid without issue.