We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car travel

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Car travel

Is it useful to hire a 4x4 to travel from Marrakech over the Atlas to the desert (Erg Chebbi) or will an ordinary car be fine?

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car travel

Hi! I prefer to drive too and I do it all the time, but why some of you say it's better to be driven? Could you please tell me what we should expect by driving ourselves? Thank you very much!!!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,312 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car travel

by driving ourselves?

you are free!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car travel

As I wrote before, it's a personal choice—some people are nervous about driving in a new country. Personally i want the freedom of driving myself and I don't want to share my holiday with a stranger. But it's up to you and I wouldn't criticise those who prefer someone else to drive

What should you expect? Cities are difficult in the evenings when the traffic is worst. Beware at roundabouts where priority is not always what you expect (take note of give way signs).

Obviously you need a map, but outside of cities roads are clearly signposted. I prefer to get off the main roads and onto the side roads wherever possible to explore more. Sometimes you don't see another vehicle for 20 minutes at a time.

marrakech
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Car travel

Self-driving around Morocco using a 2WD car is indisputably safe if you drive through the tarmaced roads. What you simply need is to get a decent map and a travel guide book. Be confident and take the initiative for an absolutely amazing experience.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car travel

We are not particularly intrepid but drove ourselves and found it absolutely fine - relatively little traffic outside towns and pretty good roads. We hired a small 4WD as we drove on some rough pistes in the mountains but would not have needed it otherwise. We had a fabulous trip!

Figueira da Foz...
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Car travel

Hello =) me and a friend of mine ar thinking about travelling by car in morocco, either bringing our own, or renting a car (we are portuguese). But we are wondering is it safe for two women to get around in morocco. What's your advice?

Thanks

Mariana

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car travel

I haven't driven much in Portugal but I'd certainly say Morocco is safer than Spain. The most difficult thing for people from the UK is driving on the other side of the road, but you won't have that difficulty.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 19:21
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,312 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car travel

Portuguese are a little "crazy" about to drive, if you excuse☺, so Mariana, you will drive in Morocco without problem, it is more slowly and less crazy than in Portugal as I know. Was driving there a lot can I say. In Portugal I mean.

Of course, in Morocco one and other drive also as a crazy, but, most they have not so good cars so they can not drive fast even if they wanted. There are more police controls there than i Portugal and it is not so funny to pay. So I believe you will be fine :).

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car travel

Just an ordinary small car would do. My husband & I rented a car & travelled to many places namely skoura, Todra gorges, merzouga, Casablanca, chefchaouen, fez....easy to drive but beware of speed limit. There are frequent police control even when you would not expect it

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car travel

I went to Imichil in March, and I found that a 4x4 was better for the mountain roads. Parts of the pavement was washed away.