We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

Colchester, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

Hello

My husband and I have booked return flights to Marrakech for a 9 night stay at the end of February. We've not been to Morooco before. A first glance at the travel books and this site makes me think I want to see the city itself, the High Atlas and/or desert, and possibly the coast.

Do you have any suggestions how we divide up our time? I'd rather not rush aorund too much or spend days on a bus, but onthe other hand want to make the most of our time. We're both in our 50s, and/but fairly active and healthy (If that makeds a difference to anything!)

Thank you.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,511 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

Lonely Planet guidebook has six suggested itineraries which you could look at. Travel around Morocco by public transport is slower than most people seem to think, distances are greater than they look on the map and mountain ranges tend to get in the way. ;)

The coast is to the west of Marrakech, the sand dunes (sort of desert) are to the south east, and you'll do a lot of travelling to do both. A trip to Erg Chebbi really needs four days, ideally longer, to take in all the points worth seeing along the way.

Mountains will be cold in February, especially first thing in the morning and the evenings.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

Good advice from Tim there: in nine days (a longer time than many people who consider Morocco can be rushed!) you can, being based in Marrakech, experience one or two nights on the Atlantic coast (Essaouira is a favourite for the culturally inclined, but can be windy and cold in February) and another two in the High Atlas. I would not really consider the desert fringes unless you can extend your holiday.

This kind of suggestion would leave you time to enjoy Marrakech itself - the monuments, gardens, restaurants and, of course, the extraordinary centre of the medina of the city, Djemma al Fna. (And still leave time for shopping if that's your wish!)

Welcome to the Marrakech forum, Alison.

Edited: 17 December 2012, 19:50
Colchester, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

Thank you both. Very helpful. I think I will give up on the desert idea - this trip anyway!

In terms of the High Atlas trip, any suggestions for an itinerary for one or two nights and also the travel options? I am a bit reluctant to hire a car so would be happy with something organised if the driver and/or company are reliable.

Thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

Your time schedule limits you to see places like the desert (cold this time of the year), although possible.

Why not concentrate the marvels of Marrakech, then skip Essouira as windy always, and head with either a express bus 3,5 hours or grand taxi to Tiznit area in the south, which offers you an authentic picture of southern culture of the country. a kind of quiet town, old medina, and new town built around it, plenty of hotels to choose, and a beautiful beach within 20 mins of taxi drive to visit, also there hotels to stay. People very friendly, compare to Marrakech hassle. They leave you alone there, just to wonder about.

Also day trips from Marrakech recommended.

Enjoy your stay !

Azilal, Morocco
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

Here is a classical tour which usually works perfect!

- Day 1 & 2 : visit Marrakech

- Day 3: trip the atlas

- Day 4,5 & 6 : down to Ouarzazate, agdez, Mhamid

- day7: Taroudant

- Day 8: essaouira

- Day9: back to Marrakech

Marrakech, Morocco
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

i think if you like you can do this :

1day marrakech

2day dades gourge

3day merzouga desert

4 camel treking sahara

5 warzazat

6agadir

7essaouirra

8 and 9marrakech

7. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 December 2012, 07:36
8. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2012, 15:21
Edited: 27 December 2012, 15:21
9. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2012, 15:21
10. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 9 nights please

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 10:15