We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

Is driving out of Fez and then into Marrakesh really the nightmare that people on the forum describe?

What should I expect to pay for a rental car for 6 days that I pick up in Fez and return to Marrakesh?

What about cost of gas from Fez to desert to Marrakesh?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

It's not a nightmare at all Parkside, driving in Morocco is easy you have nothing to worry about, as you just need to be awared that there is snow on the way, foggy way from Fes south via ifran to Azrou the way is hard when you drive in such weather, but when it's clear it's fantastic drive, the Gas is around 12 Dirhams per Littre for a small rental Car, as you will pay around 30-40 Euros/per day for the rental Car.

Use the search box for more Morocco rental Cars information, many people renting cars in Morocco, if you are used to drive so driving in Morocco will be easier for you, just avoid driving during the night.

Welcome to Morocco.

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

Thanks Hamid. It's not the driving once on the road that is of concern, but the driving in Fez and in Marrakesh that might have to do to get in and out of the city. I guess you are reassuring me that this will be just fine?

And the long drive from Fez to Merzouga -- is it too long to do in one day?

(Then we would spend two nights in Merzouga and then two nights driving to Marrakesh.)

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

You can drive slow inside the city, the most hectic at the traffic is Marrakech by the Motobikes, but you will be fine no worries, if you drive you on the way you can also drive in the city.

from Fes to Merzouga is 7 hours driving with non-stops, as you can devide that distance into 2 days, break one night in Medilt, first day you can see Ifran " Switzerland of Morocco" and stop at the Cedar Forest by the Barbary Monkeys, driving slow along the way to Medilt to be around 5 hours, and the next day another 5 hours to Merzouga, first night in a Hotel and one at the desert Camp, after that you can drive to Marrakech first night in Dades Valley, then next day from Dades valley to Marrakech via Ouarzazate and Tizi Ntishka High Pass.

Have a safe drive.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

"you just need to be awared that there is snow on the way"

Just checked the mountain weather forecasts for Ifrane and High Atlas, no sign of snow. Minimum overnight temp in Ifrane of 8ºC.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,475 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

Hi,

Driving in Marrakech is indeed a nightmare. Once outside either city you should be fine.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

We hired a car and drove the opposite way, Marrakech-Merzoua-Fes. We hired with Hertz, and had originally booked the pick-up in Marrakech city and return to Fes city. Got a bit nervous about it as we got nearer the date, and eventually changed the rental to pick-up from Marrakech airport and return to Fes airport. Once in Morocco seeing what the traffic in the cities is really like we were glad we had made this change!

Paid about EUR 350 for this 11 days rental and one-way.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 11:32
new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

Mistaya,

did you spend the 11 days driving from Marrakesh to Fes?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

I'm sorry, I made a mistake with the total no. of days. Initally we thought we'd want it for 11 days but we changed the booking to 7 days:

day 1 - Marrakech-Ait Benhaddou

day 2 - Ait Benhaddou-Tinerhir

day 3 - Tinerhir-Merzouga

day 4 - Merzouga-north of Errachidia

day 5 - Errachidia-Ifrane

day 6 - Ifrane

day 7 - Ifrane-Fes

I must say that we had planned to be at Merzouga for 3 nights but we moved on after one night. It was nice to be able to just take our time. I would definitely advise to plan no more than 230km of driving per day. Total distance wasn't that much so fuel expenses were low too (fuel economy 1:15 / VW Polo).

We paid MAD 3.870 for these 7 days. The car was a wreck but it did the job :-)

9. Re: renting car and driving to desert - Fez-Erg Chebbi-Marrakesh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech