We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

I haven't booked my trip yet, but most likely my husband and I will be in Marrakech the first week of June for 4 nights (day 1 - arrive at 5pm. Day 2 & 3 & 4- free, Day 5 - fly out at 1pm). Depending on how we like Marrakech, we may be back, but not for another many years.

I have read many threads on the 1 night desert tours and it seems like most people vote against them as its a lot of driving and only Zagora would be possible as Merzouga is too far. So for those who have experienced this 1 night tour, was it worth it? Or would you have preferred that you took day trips instead? Can you please describe the car ride there and back? I get car sick very easily so I'm a bit worried about that. We don't want to do a 2 night tour as that won't leave us any time to explore Marrakech itself.

1. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 15:07
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

With your 4 days, or rather 3 days I would stay only in Marrakech and do some day trip as Hamid recommend you too.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

I agree with both Hamid and Khamlia above: restrict yourselves to one trip to either Essaouira or the High Atlas (Imlil, Ouirgane for example).

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

Forget the desert, it will be too much driving in the time you have..........

Take 1 or 2 daytrips, if you want a different experience, then you could even spend one night in Essaouira (the most relaxed place on Earth) and a total contrast to the hussle and bussle of Marrakech.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 12:05
toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

my only doubt is that many of the desert reviews I've read, many people will talk about what a wonderful experience it was - even if it was only for one night. I'm just worried that I may regret it or really miss out on a great experience

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

Most people only spend 1 night there, but they usually go on a 3 day/2 night tour (1 night stop off on your way there, 1 night in the desert, then a full day driving back on the third day).......

It is a once in a lifetime experience in my view................and I would love to go back if I got the chance.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 16:19
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

I'd say relax and enjoy Marrakech, especially if you get car sick, the road to Merzouga is not for those affected by travel sickness, I can vouch for that! There is plenty to occupy you for the time you have in Marrakech, and acing tried both options, I'd recommend not doing the desert in such a short visit.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

Agnes: you are on a flying visit to Morocco and don't have enough time. Also I can predict from your comments that you will not like the road over the mountains.

So enjoy Marrakech and come back another year when you have enough time to see more of the country.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

agnes,

about if we enjoyed our 1 night in the desert..heck , yes...and next time will do it again..for longer..the desert is magical,,and in our camp..we were the only ones..the stars are outrageous, it was heaven.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Was your 1 night desert tour worth it?

Your visit is too short. I certainly wouldn't drive that winding, twisting road on such a short visit. Save it for a time when you will be staying more days in Morocco.