We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling solo

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birregurra...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling solo

I was hoping to get some info on traveling solo (female) in Morocco - I might be slightly naive but was hoping to get a local guide on arrival without having to go through the major tour groups?

I will be traveling mid August 2013 and hoping to stay for about 2 weeks. Any suggestion about how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Dixon
Level Contributor
160 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling solo

Depends on where you want to go and what you want to experience. The desert on a camel? The mountains? The coast? Sterile hotel or a Berber tent? Big city, ancient Medina or a small village? Morocco has it all.

I suggest you read some tour books, choose your regions, find a nice riad on this site and let them set you up with a guide.

Enjoy Morocco.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling solo

Have a look at the top right of your screen jbuchana for lots of information for female travellers, and as DixonTurnip suggests a good guidebook is essential (Frommers?) Travelling in mid-August it will be hot: personally I would avoid the semidesert regions for this reason. Locations on the Atlantic coast (Safi. El Jadida, Essaouira) are pleasantly cool as are destinations in one of the Atlas ranges of mountains. Write to any of the reviewers you encounter here on TA (click on their screen name to send a private message) for their advice. Welcome to the Marrakech forum.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling solo

Agree with Pilobolus, it can be hot in August so keep you near the coast or in the mountain. Sidi Ifni and around there is nice, then you can take one trip to Tafraoute in Anti Atlas etc.

But you need to buy some good guide book so you can see what is interesting for you and thereafter do your itinerary.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling solo

In general, Tafraout is far too hot in August, the locals hide in nearby villages, I was there in July, and was advised not to go there in the middle of mountains.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling solo

Sure? I was never in Tafraoute in Summer but early in October and at night it was chilly so I thought in August it can be warm of course, but not so hot. Thanks for information :)

6. Re: Travelling solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 06:17