We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horse & Carriage rides

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Horse & Carriage rides

Going next week to Marrakesh, never been before looking to do a Carriage ride tour around the city, has anyone done this and what should we expect and sort of prices are charged.

Many thanks

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horse & Carriage rides

The prices are displayed in the caleches for the various tours on offer. These are for the hire of the horses/carriage/driver and not per person. They are also for hourly excursions. A tour at sunset of the ramparts and a daytime trot through the medina are my favourites but you can also ask for a visit to the palmeries or the Menara or Aguedal gardens and also the new town, Guilez, to see Jardins Majorelle.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horse & Carriage rides

There was a fairly recent discussion of prices here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k6…

If you type "caleche" or "horse and carriage" into the search bar at the top of the forum, you'll be able to get an idea of what to expect and what prices other people have paid etc.

Hope this helps

Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horse & Carriage rides

Personally I wouldn't give them the money after I saw one driver kicking his horse in the mouth as it's head was drooping & creating a bad impression in the queue of carriages.

4. Re: Horse & Carriage rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2013, 23:05
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,600 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horse & Carriage rides

Hi,

SPANA, the animal charity look after the caleche horses making sure they have water and a blacksmith checks them regularly. I had guests once who were on a caleche ride and the driver stopped at the stables half way through the tour as he felt the horses were tired and he changed them for a fresh pair.

It would be a shame if one bad tempered driver should stop people enjoying a pleasant way to tour round the medina and deprive the other drivers from making a living.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horse & Carriage rides

As an animal lover I truly hope that my forthcoming trip to Marrakesh is not going to be spoilt by incidents such as this.

It's appalling that people who rely on animals for their livelihoods cannot at least treat them well.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horse & Carriage rides

We keep our own horses and can say that the carriage horses in marrakech seemed well cared for on the whole. Yes, they have very long days, periods of standing around looking miserable but once into work, some were positively fresh and very ready to go! Unfortunately, the same could not be said for some of the working donkeys and mules. Harness sores very apparent and some carts were very overloaded and too heavy.

8. Re: Horse & Carriage rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech