We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time for the Dunes?

Manchester
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Time for the Dunes?

I'm off to Marrakech for 7 nights soon.

I've booked a riad for the 1st four nights, and again for the last night.

If i hire a car and drive - will I have time to visit sand dunes somewhere and do an overnighter in the desert ?

I have thought about doing 2 nights in Ouazarzate and just mooching about that region instead if the dunes are too far away

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time for the Dunes?

Hi,

No, you won't have enough time. Have a look at the top questions box on the right of the page "desert trips" for more information.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time for the Dunes?

Nelson, do you know you will be in Morocco during Ramadan?

Chatham, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Time for the Dunes?

David why do you keep mentioning Ramadan to every one thats going? what do you want people to do not travel to Morocco during this time! I've been to many Muslim countries during this period with no problems at all. I've emailed lots of tour companies & they have all said no problem. I understand to be respectful but you might be putting people off coming.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Time for the Dunes?

Ramadan is not a problem for the Moroccan people to work,

If you travel to Morrocco in RAMADAN OR it will be normal to find everythings your required,

Manchester
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time for the Dunes?

Looks like i wont have time to visit the dunes - I'm sure that the Dades Gorge, and maybe a slow drive down the draa valley rd will be just as good.

Thanks for the replies

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time for the Dunes?

If you will give all 5 days to your trip to sand dunes then you can do it. But to visit Dades, I don't know if you can manage, temporal.

You can go from Marrakech to Ouarzazate and visit/stay over in Ait BenHaddou, next day continue to M'Hamid and Erg Chigaga there you would stay at least 2 days for to have time and explore area. Then it is time to go back to Marrakech which can be long day if you will do it in one day.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time for the Dunes?

No, Alan @3, you misunderstand.

Ramadan is a time of year that I look forward to, and I just wanted to make Nelson aware of it so that he can plan accordingly.

8. Re: Time for the Dunes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech