We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riads

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Riads

This may be a silly question, but please ignore my ignorance, but are all Riads in the Medina? I have been to Marrakech quite a few times and always stayed in a hotel, I'd like to go back to Marrakech next year and a Riad really appeals, the only thing is my sense of direction is pretty dodgy, so I'd like some where that's easy to find, any suggestions would be gratefully received, Many thanks:)

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riads

Hi,

Yes, all the real Riads are in the medina (some hotels also call themselves Riad...). Some areas are easier to navigate than others. I'd suggest a Riad in the Bab Doukkala, Dar el Bacha, Mouassine or maybe Kasbah areas (though Kasbah wouldn't be my personal choice) .

Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riads

Thank you Shimmin, appreciate your sound advice:)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riads

In addition to shimmin's advice I would like to mention that the word riad in Arabic means garden. There are several riads in the medina that are not deserving of this name, barely having a plant pot, and should be called dars or beits. Also as post 1 reports some modern hotels use the description 'riad' because of its cachet. These exist both within the medina and in the various districts of the New Town. A careful perusal of reviews and websites will soon discover the deceptions! I am sure that you will find the riad of your choice. I hope that your next trip will be a thoroughly enjoyable one. And no, it is not a silly question!

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riads

If you're worried about getting lost, try a riad that is close to a road so that you can always hop in a taxi if needs be. A lot of the riads close to the souks are down crazy little mazes, often about 10 minutes walk from the nearest available car stop. It's lovely to be in the centre of everything but not great if you're shattered and just want your bed asap

We recently stayed in Riad Alwachma specifically because of its close proximity to a road (we were doing a desert tour and being picked up from the riad) which might help you to start your research? I don't know your budget but it is pretty much next door to La Maison Arabe if you fancy a splurge.

The Bab Doukkala area is lovely and a lot less hassle than areas closer to the souks.

If you click on the "How to Choose a Riad" link on the right hand side under "Top Questions" there is some more info there which might be useful.

Hope this helps

Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riads

Thank you for your kind words Pilobolus:) and for the information you've given me, very helpful as well.

Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riads

Thank you LaLico for your comments as well, also very helpful, it's so nice to have you knowledgable people to help me, I think the idea near a main road is sound advice. I will be looking at a fairly luxury Riad, and will spent sometime saving!:)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riads

Try ksar anika it is right by the Jewish cemetery we stayed there in June and couldn't fault it it is on a road so taxis go right past but is only 10 mins from the main square it has nearly all 5 star reviews

Debra

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riads

Hi,

Remember most people who recommend a specific Riad will only have stayed in that particular one on their only visit to Marrakech so have nothing to compare it to. Do your research and if a few take your fancy maybe try sending a message via their profiles to a few reviewers of several Riads before making your choice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riads

Hi Yvonne,

I'm not a Marrakech expert and I stayed in a Riad just one time.

So I can tell you my personal experience and suggest the Riad where I stayed.

It's Riad Al Loune it is located in Medina's heart (Azbezt 's area), here you can see the position on GMaps http://goo.gl/maps/anXaD

It's a luxury riad but I can't tell you if is cheap because I didn't compare it with others: a good friend of mine suggest it.

If you want you can find all the information on their website http://www.riadalloune.com/riad-al-loune-eng

Of course my advice is to check different riads and then choose the one suitable for you.

All the best, Marika

Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riads

Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments, I will, with pleasure look at all the Riads recommended and the areas to stay suggested and some other Riads to compare, but you've all totally convinced me that a Riad is the right way to go for our holiday next year, thank you all so much for the time you've taken to help me on this forum:) :) :)