We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with children

england
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with children

My husband and I are looking at marrakesh and agadir with our 2 year old , but have been told by a travel agent that its not a place for children . Any advice would b welcome .? Thank u

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with children

I'm also traveling with a 2 years old, any information will be appreciated :)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with children

Change your travel agent - their advice is utterly wrong for both locations for kids. I have had many staying with me over the years and never a problem. With two exceptions: expect your child to be smothered in kisses (Moroccans dote on children) but don's worry about hygiene (bring antiseptic wipes as a useful precaution for all of the family anyway). Secondly be vey aware that vey young children have a much poorer tolerance to heat. You will, as parents, of course know that. Avoid the summer months if possible.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with children

Moroccans have children, and you will not be the first tourist to travel with a child.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with children

Consider going to places other than Marrakech or Agadir, less touristy locations. You can bring your child anywhere in Morocco, but as Pilo says, it's best not to come during the hottest time of the year. Think May or October.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Agadir
Agadir
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
england
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with children

Thanks for that . We were thinking of march time to go. How's weather then ?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with children

March is good especially for Marrakech see 'Weather information' under top questions, top right of screen.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with children

Here is Marrakech weather for March 15, 2013:

wunderground.com/history/…

High of 27C, nice.

Next year is likely to be similar, but you never know these days.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with children

Erm David, historical info for a single date for this year only is not really of very much use!

Here are the monthly stats from the link that I provided above (and compiled!);

March

In March the average high temperature is 24 degrees Celsius with a statistical range of 11 C to 36 C falling to an average low of 11 C with a historical range of 4 C to 21 C. The month is mostly sunny, with an 11% chance of a cloudy day.

Of course the proviso is always that 2014 could be completely different but should fall within the statistical ranges indicated. Perhaps!

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with children

I agree completely, Pilo!

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with children

Silly advice from the travel agent, don't let that put you off.

I would say that it depends on the child really. When I was 2 I had a mortal fear of people wearing costumes with fake heads - bizarre but true. We were visiting relatives in America and they took us to a Disneyland-style theme park where lots of characters walked about with big plastic heads on. Apparently I screamed like all the demons of hell were after me and continued in my hysteria for the next 4 hours, after we left. Marrakech would have been fine for me though!

On the other hand we had a day trip to Tangier when my sister was about 11 and she freaked out completely. She hated the crowds and the entire experience of the souks. Everyone is different.

If your little one doesn't mind people and noise (and being fussed over) then you should be fine. Only you know your child's personality . There's no danger and Moroccan cities are pretty much like any European city in the new sections. The main issue is whether you feel comfortable with it or not.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Marrakech
Marrakech
Tangier
Tangier
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco