We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech/medina

Dubai, United Arab...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marrakech/medina

Hi I am planning a trip to Marakech and surrounding area. Need help with co-ordinates of the downtown area in Marakech, what is it called. I need this as a starting point to look for accomodation and plan my trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech/medina

Downtown?

Guilez is the new town and the old walled part at the end of Avenue Mohamed V is called Medina. This is the old town where all the souks (djemaa el dna) , mellah (the jewish quarter) and various other historical landmarks are...e.g. bahia palace, saadien tombs, el badi palace, bab aganou, (check spelling), etc. Guilez (ville nouvelle-new town) is where you will find modern shops, jardins marjorelle, and macdonalds&pizza hut...(eeewwww). A little further on is an area called la palmeraie... there are two riu hotels here though pwrsonally I dont recommend staying in this area. Medina or guilez are best. 5 min taxi ride out towards the airport (though I believe still in guilez) is the menara gardens. You can walk there from the koutoubia mosque in 40 mins though - practically one straight road - route de menara.

Hope this helps you.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech/medina

I think Mojiv that you need a guidebook with maps - Lonely Planet, Fodor's or Rough Guide for example.

Bab Agnaou - very close kickinchicken! (Once a teacher always a teacher. Sorry!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech/medina

HG2 ... Marrakech is full of maps and great info...

D'oh! So close...

4. Re: Marrakech/medina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 05:17