We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Morocco!!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Morocco!!

I know this has been asked more then some would like, but here comes another request. There will be a Couple and 18yrd old Daughter

Arriving in April/2014 on night train from Tangier, after traveling Spain for 2 weeks

Day One: relaxing after train arrival, day tripping at local souks and city.

Day Two: Cooking class at La Maison Arabe, then more shopping

Day Three: Thinking about Ait Ben Haddou ( is this worth it ) or Essaouira

Day Four: Atlas Mountains? Is this worth the drive?

Day Five: Leave for Madrid then to US.

Any help in this question is greatly appreciated.

Victor

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Morocco!!

Hi,

In such a short visit I'd say pick either the mountains or the coast for your one day out of the city.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Morocco!!

Hi

It looks like you have a great itinerary.

I went to Essaouira and I found it a bore and waste of our money.

I would definitely recommend a tour of the High Atlas mountains. Some such tours include a hike to waterfalls and a camel ride. The hike is about 2 hrs.

I would recommend a restaurant with entertainment such as Al-Baraka infront of Djema el fnaa. I would also recommend an authentic local hammam, its better than a hammam spa.

Remember to negotiate prices with street performers before taking pictures and videos.

As first timers, the below blog should be helpful

All the best,

http://moroccotravel101.blogspot.ca/

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Morocco!!

If you go to Ait Ben Haddou you will drive through the Atlas mtns but I would suggest just exploring the High Atlas and not necessarily going all the way to Ben Haddou. You then could do one day High Atlas and one day the coast.

www.FromHomeToRoam.com

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Morocco!!

If you want to see as much as you can in the time that you have, then I would suggest going on a daytrip on day two to Ourika Valley (setti fatima), you get to see some of the Atlas Mountains and it is quite close to Marrakech, you will be back in Marrakech by 4pm (you can take a rest in your hotel, then go out into the souks in the evening). On day three take a rest day in Marrakech and take you cooking class, on day four take a trip to Essaouira.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Morocco!!

I agree with Post 1 - you have only a short time so choose just 1 daytrip (either mountains or Essaouira) and forget Ait Ben Haddou.

Check the 'Things To Do' tab at the top of the page and you will see that there is plenty more to see in Marrakech than just the souks.

6. Re: First Time to Morocco!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:18