We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in 7 days in Marrakech/surrounding areas!?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in 7 days in Marrakech/surrounding areas!?

I am a 'fully qualified' experienced traveller and normally just arrive at my chosen destination without any planning and go with the flow. I hate planning just because I cant be bothered reading up and organising.Normally my travels are for months/years and not days!

Im taking my father to Morrcocco as a surprise 26nov landing in marrakech and leaving Marrakech 3rd dec.

The only plans I have made so far are 2 nights in a traditional Riad in Marrakech.

Where can I take him by bus/taxi that is not too far but different to the city?Preferably no longer than 3 hours travel...maybe fez? casablanca? would that be possible as a loop circuit?

Thinking marrakech 2 nights, somewhere else 2 nights,somewhere else 2 nights ..getting back to Marrakech for the last 2/3 nights as Ill be meeting up with some friends.

It is his first holiday in 6 years so I want it to be relaxed,cultural,lots of local food, no western hotels/food, he likes a drink, likes food, likes music...

THROW IDEAS AT ME PLEASE :-)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in 7 days in Marrakech/surrounding areas!?

Fes is far too far (7 hours+). How about an overnight stay in Essaouira, a charming small town on the Atlantic coast and another overnighter in either Asni or Ouirgane in the High Atlas mountains? Both locations provide a complete contrast to Marrakech and from each other. Avoid Casablanca at all costs.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in 7 days in Marrakech/surrounding areas!?

Choices within 3 hours are quite limited. I recommend Ouarzazate which is about 4.5 hours by bus and a bit shorter by private coach. It is a unique small desert town that feel totally different from Marrakech. I'd say it is a great escape from the crazy maze of Marrakech. I really enjoyed the bus ride, the landscape and human races change gradually, numerous kasbahs along the way, great mountain views, and even roads built on the ridge. People dress differently and are noticeably more conservative the further you go into the inland. Also check out the must-see Ait Benhaddou, which is 30 mins away from town by grand taxi. Great relaxing accommodation and dining options available in town.

Fes is another crazy Moroccan city which I found people there quite hostile, given your time limit and holiday choice I can't recommend it.

Enjoy!

3. Re: What to do in 7 days in Marrakech/surrounding areas!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 November 2013, 17:35
Marrakech, Morocco
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in 7 days in Marrakech/surrounding areas!?

Hi mate,

For you and your father to enjoy your trip, I believe, you should hire a 4wd car with driver, so you could stop any time you want and drive anywhere you wish

Said

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,028 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in 7 days in Marrakech/surrounding areas!?

It would be rare that anyone would need a 4wd and one can easily drive oneself in a hire car without having to engage a driver.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in 7 days in Marrakech/surrounding areas!?

I very much disagree with Brian's post #2. Much as I quite like Ouarzazate, in truth I would only visit it as a stopover on my way to somewhere else. Besides, with only seven days in Morocco, why undertake a round trip of eight to nine hours to see it? Pilobolus' suggestions #1 are much better: how could you hope for a better contrast to Marrakech than a visit to the Atlantic coast or the High Atlas Mountains, both of which are within easier reach?

7. Re: What to do in 7 days in Marrakech/surrounding areas!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:17