We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

How is the drive from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec? We plan to take a one day trip to Ait Benhaddou from Marrakech. Is 4x4 required?

Thanks,

Michelle

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

Not at all, it's a main road.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
75 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

Hi.

The road from Marrakech to Ouarzazate is doable in a small hire car and you do not need a 4WD unless you prefer the height, speed and power. There are two routes to Ait Benhaddou.

1. Just after you pass the Col du Tichka (2260m/7414ft), you could take a left towards Telouet (an old Kasbah) and down the Ounila Valley towards Ait Benhaddou. This road is a bit rough after Telouet for a few miles and although I've driven it in a normal vehicle, a 4WD would make that bit of the road more comfortable. That route down to Ait Benhaddou (or up) is wonderful but going down in December would mean sun in your eyes depending on the time of the day of course. Driving up is IMHO nicer with the sun on the mountains and villages in front of you as you ascend the river valley.

2. If you just stick to the main road, the turn off to Ait Benhaddou is about 24 miles (34km) before Ouarzazate and this road is fine although you may find yourself jousting for road space with taxis, 4WDs and Tourist coaches not usually that many. There is a great (classic) view of the Ksar before you arrive at the village from where to take photos.

The only thing to check is whether the col road is open. It may be shut due to heavy snowfall but given the drought conditions of late, I'd be surprised.

londra
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

How long does it take to drive from Marrakech to Ait Ben Haddou?

Edited: 18 November 2013, 16:02
londra
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

Hello, how long does it take to drive from marrakech to Ait Ben Hddou? Thanks

Edited: 18 November 2013, 16:06
londra
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

Would you know roughly how long doeas it take to drive from MRK to Ait?

Edited: 18 November 2013, 16:11
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

Going via the main road (not taking the Telouet turn off), allow minimum four and a half hours plus stops for photos, refreshments. The Telouet route is slower and much more scenic.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

hallo

you need just a small car dont miss the kasbah off pacha laglaoui kasbah taleout

londra
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

Thanks for this Tim, I'm a bit confused as I was told that the Bus from MRK to Ouarzazate takes 4 and half hrs to 5hrs max, how come you say that driving to Ait ben haddou can take up to 4 and half?

Edited: 18 November 2013, 16:35
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

I advocate driving safely, keeping to speed limits, and if you do this you are unlikely to beat the bus. Also when you get behind slower moving traffic you won't be able to (safely) overtake. Thirdly the distance is only 12km shorter—when you get to the junction with the road to Ait Benhaddou you are 24km short of Ouarzazate but then you must travel 12km north.

The fastest I've ever done Ouarzazate to Marrakech is 3hr 15mins but I know the road extremely well and was on a powerful motorbike at the time, able to overtake at will.

Some photos (crossing the pass heading north): morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Photos for the return trip (I agree with HotSharqi's comments above): morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

londra
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from Marrakech to Ait Benhaddou in early Dec

Thanks a lot Tim, appreciated your accurate feedback, it actually makes perfectly sense...

Do you also know from Ait Ben. to Agdz how long would it take me?