We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area for day trip from Marrakech in early January

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Best area for day trip from Marrakech in early January

Hello,

Given weather conditions, what do you think is the best area for a day trip excursion from Marrakech of the following options: Ourika Valley, Imlil, Ouzoud, Ouirgane, or some other place I haven't included that you highly recommend?

Do you think the weather will allow for light hiking? We would not like to be driving the entire time, but we would like to spend a few hours hiking through a scenic area so would love your thoughts on where to go to accomplish that.

Thanks!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,702 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area for day trip from Marrakech in early January

Weather varies. Could be warm and sunny, might not be. Have a plan A and a plan B just in case.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area for day trip from Marrakech in early January

Of course, the weather for January cannot be predicted but it should be possible to have a very pleasant few hour's walk in any of the destinations that you mention. Whichever you choose, I would suggest that you select a trail that will get you away from the road.

One such lovely trek is upwards from Tacheddirt towards Tizi n'Tacheddirt from which you would gain far-reaching views further east along Assif Iabassene towards Ourika Valley. Alternatively, try heading eastwards from Imlil to reach Tizi Mzik to gain some great views towards the west. Then again, if you are not preoccupied with gaining height, you might consider heading north from Imlil along Ait Mizane Valley to reach the shrine of Sidi Chamharouch, a popular destination for Muslim pilgrims.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area for day trip from Marrakech in early January

I don't know which planet I was on last night but I certainly got my points of the compass mixed up. I've reposted the second paragraph with a couple of amendments. Sorry for any confusion!

One such lovely trek is upwards from Tacheddirt towards Tizi n'Tacheddirt from which you would gain far-reaching views further east along Assif Iabassene towards Ourika Valley. Alternatively, try heading westwards from Imlil to reach Tizi Mzik to gain some great views further west. Then again, if you are not preoccupied with gaining height, you might consider heading south from Imlil along Ait Mizane Valley to reach the shrine of Sidi Chamharouch, a popular destination for Muslim pilgrims.

Godalming, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area for day trip from Marrakech in early January

Where did you go in the end? We are trekkers from the UK on a 5 day city break to Marrakech, leaving on 5 Feb. My sons live in Brooklyn. Nice shot of Macchu Picchu by the way.

Chattan

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area for day trip from Marrakech in early January

We did a day trip to a donkey sanctuary (Jarjeer Mules) from Marrakech. It was wonderful; such lovely proprietors.

Enjoy your trip - we had a terrific time. The desert was particularly interesting.

Godalming, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area for day trip from Marrakech in early January

We just returned from a day hike starting in Imlil and up the valley through lots of Berber Villages under blue skies and temps 21 C (but some snow to shuffle through). All together we hiked for five lovely hours.

7. Re: Best area for day trip from Marrakech in early January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech