We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

A bit hesitant to ask about a pouffe after reading a recent thread!, but here goes, please be patient with me. I'm off to Marrakech next week and can barely contain my excitement:) Anyway I've only just realised that pouffes can be flattened to take home, anyway I'm after a bright pink one if possible, but open to colours, medium size, good quality that doesn't stink! I'm only in Marrakech for three days so I was thinking of possibly getting one in Gueliz or the Ensemble Artisanal for a set price, what would I look for? what animal skin would be best and how much would I pay, please help, I'd be very grateful for all advice given, thank you.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

Go to main Souk, the choice will be endless.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

If you visit the tanneries, you might want to buy a pouffe from one of the adjacent tannery shops; buying from here would mean that you would have a story to take home with your souvenir.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

Hi,

With such a short visit I think you are quite sensible to think about the Artisanal. Why put yourself through the hassle of haggling when you could be doing other more interesting things!

For a medium sized cow skin pouffe expect to pay around 250 Dhs. Smell them in the shop as if they stink nothing you are advised to do will ever get rid of the smell. Camel skin is the most expensive.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

Why go to all the trouble of buying from a tannery shop?

- because at the heart of all good travel is a good story; if you have no story to tell, then you haven't really travelled at all. In which case, you might as well have never left home and instead bought your pouffe on-line from the comfort of your armchair. I don't know of any good stories that have ever emerged from a visit to the Artisinal!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

Hi Yvonne,

Have a look at these and make your own mind up;

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293734-d3…

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

This thread offers advice and opinions regarding pouffes Yvonne:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k537…

It may provide you with some guidance. The tanneries in Marrakech may provide "an experience" but not a good one. The leather shops offer overpriced goods and there is a constant hard sell. This begins even before you reach the tanneries themselves. If you would like to offer good stories then avoid this area altogether!

Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

Thanks to you all for your varied and interesting comments.

8. Re: Buying a pouffe in Marrakech, advise please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:17