We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A spiritual experience-report.

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
A spiritual experience-report.

Hello, hope you are well, I am not sure if I am writing this in the right section of the website but here goes.

I first stopped at Lara Zohras tomb, which is located just outside the Koutobia masjid, It houses the body of Lalla Zohra, a hostorical and mythical figure and member of the Almohad dynasty.

Part history, part myth, Lalla was the daughter of a freed slave and religious leader. She was said to transform herself into a dove each night, so she knew all the secrets of the Marrakchis.

Many women of Marrakesh still believe this myth. Some people dedicate their children to Lalla Zohra. These children do not eat pigeon (ingredient of the famous Fez specialty Pastilla), out of respect for Lalla’s half-life as a dove.

I stayed here for a few moments, paid my respects, did a prayer and asked God to send the prayer to her soul.

1) The same day I visited Imam Souheil’s tomb. He’s known for his Sufi poetry and his openness during a time of strong religious censureship. He is buried near Bab Robb in a large white building on the far end of the graveyard, I felt quite emotional here, could feel some electricity running through me, as if the saint was giving me some attention. My chakras felt activated.

2) the second day I visited the zaouia of Imam Jazuli, Sidi Ben Slimane :

Also known as: Sidi Mohammed ben Slimane ben Said al Jazouli.

He’s the founder of Moroccan Sufism. He’s the author of the famous collection of prayers Dala’il al-Khayrat, he is Buried: At the zaouïa Jazoulia in the north end of the medina, near Dar-el-Glaoui.

I stayed here and recited the whole of his dalail e khairat, which was very moving, tears were flowing from my eyes, which was intense, I felt like I had met a long lost friend, the main reason I visited Morocco is because of this saint, I once had a dream where a person showed me this book dalail e khairat, I woke up, went to work, googled the book, and found out what it was, and who the author was, after a couple of weeks I picked up the book, and started reading it daily without a fail, I had many dreams after that showing me parts of this book. Whilst reading it, I would feel a tingling sensation in my forehead chakra, my heart chakra, and my crown chakra, I would see flashes of light, and would feel at peace. I got to visit the other saints of Marrakech because I got to know of this saint.

3) I also visited Sidi Bel Abbes. He lived for 40 years in a grotta under a hill in Gueliz, without ever entering the city. He spent his life caring for and protecting the weak and the blind, he was very chartable. His Zaouïa is part of the Regraga pilgrammage. He is Buried at Sidi Marouk cemetary, near Bab Taghzout. It is a beautiful building, with many people outside his tomb, I prayed here, and gave my salutations.

4) I visited Sidi Abdelaziz Tebbaâ on the same day, he is the key disciple of Sidi Ben Slimane.He spread spread Sufi morals through the artisan guilds, and is Buried near Ben Youssef Mosque. This saint spent a lot of time purifying his soul in seclusion, after he had completed his time in seclusion, he stepped outside, and his glance fell on approximately 500 people, his heart had become so pure that his one glance gave these 500 people a saintly status.

The third day I visited the tomb of:

5) Sidi Youssef Ben Ali: he was Leprosy stricken, he remained immensely faithful to God until his death. Buried near Bab Ghmat, this place was undergoing work when I visited, so could not enter right next to the grave, the grave area looked like it has been dug out, however I was close enough to pray, and pay my respects.

Straight after I visited

6) Cadi Ayyad Ben Moussad tomb, he is buried: Near Bab Aïlen, I spent quite a lot of time here, for I had heard of this saint many times, although I never knew he was buried in Marrakech, after praying, and receiving some energy from his presence, I noticed a man sitting next to his tomb on some sheep skin mat, which sufis sit on, whilst reading, praying, meditating, I asked the man if I could purchase the sheep skin mat he was sat on (all in sign language), and he pulled out some mats from a pantry near by, he also gave me some incent powder that the locals burn, frakensicence or whatever it is called, and gave me a book in french which I cant understand lol, however I accepted it, I have heard the sheep is a very humble animal, and sitting on sheep skin mats, humbles the person that sits on it over time, also the reason why I wanted the mat from here is because of how close these mats were to this saint, and the blessings from the said would rub off on these mats, and surroundings.

On the fourth day I visited

7) Sidi Abdellah El Ghazouani :

Also known as: Moul El Ksour, he is buried near Mouassine Mosque.

Ohh and I got to go to the top of the minaret in the Koutobia masjid, beautiful view from up there.

The rest of my time, I was chilling, and enjoying the sun.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

Thanks very much for getting back to us with your report. I'm so glad that everything worked out well for you in the end. Did you decide to take a guide or did you manage to find all these locations independently?

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

Yep everything was perfect, no headaches or nothing, went with Thompson, so everything was very smooth.

I went to all seven saints on my own, by foot, using a map on a smart phone, got to the vicinity of the tombs, but had to ask people for a few of the exact locations, some men took me for free, others asked for money, but was only 30 dirhams. I thought if i didnt find the tombs my self, then I would hire a guide, I had the number you gave me saved in my phone, along with the number for the tourist police, and a taxi number lol.

thanks for letting me know of the Lalla Zohra story, I asked a few locals, and they didnt know of this tomb or anything about it.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

That's terrific! Who says technology and spirituality don't mix? I really must make a pilgrimmage around the seven tombs myself one day ....

Take care.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

Interesting report - never really knew much about these tombs.

Also you are lucky to get to the top of the Koutoubia minaret !

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,741 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

i found your report VERY interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post.

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

the koutobia minaret was interesting, there are no steps all the way to the top, there are ramps/slopes across all 4 walls of the minaret, if that makes sense, and when you get near the top, there are some decent steps, and to get right at the top, there are some ancient narrow stairs where you have to be really careful if you have shoes on, for your whole foot doesnt fit on the steps, (to get down those steps was even more of a challenge!)

I have heard that in the olden days the person that gave the call to prayer from the minaret used to ride his horse to the top, that is the reason there are slopes instead of steps.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

Masha-allah that was very interesting and spiritually enlightened, I am planning to go in a weeks time and defiantly make the tour as you have done. I never knew there were so many tombs of saints in Marrakesh.

The first time I went to morocco I too got the opportunity to climb the koutobia minaret, just as the sun was setting.. Very dark and scary climb up the ramp, but well worth it once at the top.. since it’s the tallest structure in the old city it has the most amazing views, especially of the main square and the Atlas mountains in the background.

A very useful guide thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

There are many tombs in Marrakech, the seven are the most famous ones. I know there are many, because when trying to find these 7, i came across many others.

I'm sure you all have seen these structures in the link below, I have been told by our bus driver, that these are a symbol for the seven saints.

…photoshelter.com/image/I0000o3e1IXXakd0

Dibs786, if you go to the tombs, give my salaams to the saints please (especially at Imam Jazulis), and pray durood (salat-alan nabi), like a book of dalail e khairat. you will experience things.

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

Alan, i would deffo recommend the pilgrimage , exactly, technology and spirituality go hand in hand, technology comes from the power of the mind, and thought, which is driven by the spiritually unseen.

10. Re: A spiritual experience-report.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 06:17