We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

My wife and I have booked last minute to go to Marrakesh at the end of January.

We are looking for some ideas and recommendations for good, authentic andinexpensive places to eat. Do you have any suggestions and idea on prices?

We have used street vendors and eaten at the night market in Thailand and so are not afraid to experience the local food, in fact we would welcome the experience.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

Hi,

The food stalls in the square at night, Mechoui Alley at lunch time, any of the pavement cafes around the square, lots of snack cafes and a couple of fish shop cafes on Rue Bab Doukkala, Chez Yassine on Avenue Fatima Zohra. You'll be able to eat very cheaply at any of these places at around 35 Dirhams for a main dish.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 21:39
Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

Theres a huuuuge area of vendors set up in djema el fnaa. Food there is super cheap.

Otherwise, often menus are posted outside, so you'll get to check the prices first before going in.

Enjoy your trip.

http://moroccotravel101.blogspot.ca/

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

A range of options here:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g293734-Marrakec…

Prices at the food stalls on Djemma al Fna tend to be higher than at local cafes. It is the street theatre that makes it such a popular place!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

Eating on a budget? Easy. My choice was often the chicken shawarma. If you've ever had a Greek gyros, it's very similar and served with a small portion of fries. Fantastically tasty, very filling and great value. You'll be given two bottles what looks like ketchup. One is, the other is a spicy sauce. I recommend the latter, adds a lovely kick. (Any who knows, please post what that sauce is?)

You'll see where shawarma are for sale as you'll see the the meat on a spit and at first glance it will look like doner kebab meat on a spit. It's far from doner kebab meat. I had them last week in Marrakech, El Jadida or Tanger and enjoyed every one of them. The brochettes/kebabs are just as good value however I found the shawarma more enjoyable and filling.

As per the other posts, a visit to the night market at Djemma El Fna is a definite for food. Pizzas in Marrakech are also excellent.

Have a great trip.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 18:53
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

Hi,

The spicy sauce is harissa.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

Thank you Shimmin

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

Harissa is readily obtainable in the UK, even in supermarkets. It is a paste mixture of chilli, cumin, olive oil and tomato. The best varieties have additional spices and herbs too. For a dipping sauce, as opposed to a ketchup, mix with a little water, lemon juice and more olive oil. Finely chopped shallots and tomatoes enhance the flavour too. A great accompaniment to grilled meats and vegetables and a signature feature to the cuisine of the Maghreb.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 20:53
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

The spicy sauce is a mild version of Harissa, see …about.com/od/dipsandsauces/r/harissa.htm

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

There are 1000s of recipes for harissa, varying from country to country throughout the Maghreb and from region to region within those countries. Like paella there are as many recipes as there are chefs and cooks! The highlighted link above is perhaps the least researched and least authentic that I have come across. I make my own harissa paste twice a year, once with the green chillies (more in the Tunisian style) that I harvest in spring and again with the mature red ones in early winter. These keep, refrigerated, for months. Unfortunately most harissa based dips to be encountered in Morocco, especially in cafes and restaurants, and this includes the milder ones, are from commercially manufactured products (such as Pikarome) and do not have the complexity or depth of flavour that the spice market or home produced varieties.

Marrakech, Morocco
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to east out in Marrakech on a budget

when you are in jamaa lafna square, you can go to Oscar Progress Restaurant here you will find cheap food around 30 - 40 Dirhams for the main dish. or go to Chez Chegrouni for a panoramic view over jamaa lafna square it is close to Cafe France there you can find food around 70 Dhs for the main dish. throughout Marrakech you will find snacks and they are cheaper than restaurants. Bon Voyage

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech