We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transfer?

Motherwell, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Airport transfer?

Hi, just about to book a week at the Pullman palmeraie, but hesitated to check out the price of transfers. They wanted to charge £18 each return and there are three of us. Having a quick look on the forums, info about taxis seem uncertain. Generally cheap, but with a lot of potential for drivers to charge high prices for tourists. Any advice please on whether the transfer costs seem reasonable or if we'd be much better off just getting our own taxi from the airport?

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
580 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport transfer?

My transfer to Monriad in the medina was 15 euros. I arrived late night and I'm glad I took the transfer. The driver was waiting for me at arrivals with a name card.

It takes a day to get accustomed to Marrakech. One part of that is the taxi drivers. They WILL try to overcharge. Every advice guide will tell you they must have a meter or not to use them. They know that and will still say "don't worry, very cheap taxi" then charge 3 or 4 times what the meter would have charged. I used plenty of taxis in Morocco who often didn't have a clue where they were going or possibly pretended not to. Be very very firm with them. Save haggling for the Souks, not for in the taxis. If you get in and they don't have a visible meter, often in the front where the ashtray is, then just say "no meter, no taxi" and open the door. Then they will either let you get out or a meter will magically appear.

A hotel transfer cost is roughly what a taxi driver will charge the first time, unsuspecting visitor, with less hassle until you get acclimatised.

Have a great trip.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport transfer?

Hi,

The hotel's price is a bit expensive as you could hire a grand taxi for around 200 Dirhams to take you there (same again for the return trip) so by doing it yourselves you would save about £20. But, do you really want the hassle of haggling about the price with several taxi drivers after your flight when you arrive in a strange country? At the start of your holiday? Or would you rather be met in the arrival hall by a driver who will help with your luggage and take you right to the hotel with no added hassle?

Poster number 1 is perhaps helpful about petit taxis in Marrakech (you will find lots of information about them in the top questions box) but at the airport you will be dealing with grand taxis which don't have meters.

South Shields...
Level Contributor
343 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport transfer?

I've been following the posts re airport transfers, and as I am staying at the Riu Tikida Garden have found out I have no choice but to take a taxi and pay god knows how much with god knows what hassle. The hotel offered no help when asked as they have no service at all for airport transfers - I would have been prepared to pay over the odds for them to arrange transport. Very disappointing.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport transfer?

dont forget that a private transfer will always be worth more than a taxi because you will have a guy waiting for you with your name on a board - worth a bit extra to avoid the nightmare taxi drivers !

I did notice recently that they now display the recommended taxi price on the screens in the airport baggage hall. Of course that doesnt mean the taxi drivers will take any notice, but at least they are trying to inform tourists of what they should be paying.

Official price is 70dh/100dh for day/night transfer to city centre by petit taxi (max 3 passengers) - grand taxi (up to 6 passengers) or trip to Palmeraie, which is much further, would be more.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport transfer?

Expect to pay around £20 for a one way pre-booked transfer with a private driver.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport transfer?

Have you tried http://www.servicetransfers.co.uk/ ( Part of CLCK EXCURSIONS- who seem to have good reviews.)

Haven't used them myself - but they are quoting around £39. for RETURN transfer for 3 (Not per person) from the airport to Palmeraie district and you pay the driver in either £ , Euros or Moroccan D.

Dixon
Level Contributor
164 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport transfer?

the taxi stand at the airport has posted prices so drivers don't turn on the meter. However, even if you confirm the price before getting in the cab, the cost may rise as soon as you leave the curb---my last driver insisted that it did not include the "fare" for my backpack. I asked him to stop and let me out before reaching the main road. He reduced the luggage fee to a few dirhams but dropped me off at the opposite side of the medina from my riad.

I love Morocco so much that I keep coming back, but taxi drivers are the worst rip offs ever.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport transfer?

I'm flying into Marrakech in June and staying in Essaouira. Can I take a bus? Any ideas how long the journey is from the airport to essaouira and I what I should expect to pay?

Cheers

Sarah

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport transfer?

Hi Sarah,

You would have to get from the airport to either the Supratours or CTM depot in Marrakech and then take a bus to Essaouira. Check their websites for timetables. The cost is around 75 Dirhams per person each way and the journey is around 3 hours.

Kos
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport transfer?

yea I pretty much hate taxi drivers in all counties......especially at Airports....I would just google a transfer company and book a pre booked transfer from the airport to yur hotel.