We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Marrakech to Merzouga

Uckfield, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Marrakech to Merzouga

I posted a couple of weeks back and got a great recommendation from here for a rental company. Anyways I have a rough iterniary which takes me out towards Merzouga then up to Errachida. My question is if I left Marrakech around 5/6am could I reach Merzouga by early afternoon (8 and a half hours with a stop realistically) would I be better stopping at Ouarzazate then going to Merzouga the next day? Your advice is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,945 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Marrakech to Merzouga

No you will need much longer than that. Firstly you're crossing a massive mountain range, and secondly traffic speeds in Morocco are slow. Also you won't be used to driving in Morocco, and blissfully unaware of the different type of traffic hazards.

Make it a two day trip. It's a holiday after all. And many places to stop and see on the way that ultimately are far more interesting than a relatively small area of sand.

Are you still going for a 125cc scooter??

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Uckfield, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Marrakech to Merzouga

I've done some further research and I'll stop over in Ouarzazate. As it'll take at least five hours through the mountains. As for experience I have plenty of car/motorbike experience and my licence but limited experience driving on the right. If I'm careful common sense will prevail (hopefully). I'm getting a Honda NXR 125cc as its a more robust veichle compared to a scooter.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 22:07
Mentioned in this post
Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Marrakech to Merzouga

Yes, agree, you cannot do it in one day only. Or you can, but it would be crazy. On the way you have much to see, so take it slowly and explore it.

But, this relatively small area of sand is interesting as the other. The color, soft sand, light and sun, the dark sky on the night with moon and stars, silence (if you not stay in Merzouga only), this a little desert place is nice. So in this case I am not agree with Tim LOL

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,945 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Marrakech to Merzouga

OK. Some photos of the Tizi n'Tichka: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Once you are on top of the Tizi (pass), look for a road to the left signposted 'Telouet' and take it. It's a narrow road but no traffic. In some places the tarmac isn't in great condition, but it improves after a while. There's a couple of cafes in the middle of Telouet, then 200m further on turn right to visit the Telouet Kasbah. Some photos (albeit coming from the other direction): morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/… (don't worry about the state of the road, it's all good tarmac now).

Have a look the next day at the lower part of the Dades Gorge (turn left on the approach into Boumalne du Dades): morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Then the lower part of the Todra Gorge (turn left on the eastern end of Tinerhir): morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Edited: 19 January 2014, 22:17
Uckfield, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Marrakech to Merzouga

I've just arrived back from my trip so I just wanted to give some feedback. I rented from Loc2roues with no problems initially, however the bikes speedometer was bust. I also had a problem with the insurance as I was unfortunately knocked off my bike 17 kilometres from Ouarzazate by a grand taxi. Loc2roues demanded I pay the mechanic 800 dirhams which seemed suspect and I challenged them over this referring to their insurance documents. Eventually I paid 200 dirhams to the mechanic to take the bike back to Ouarzazate. I then had to get a CTM bus back to Marrakech.

I feel if I'd had no problems everything would have been fine. But if this were common practice for them I wouldn't recommend them.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 19:43
Mentioned in this post
Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
6. Re: Driving from Marrakech to Merzouga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 20:35
7. Re: Driving from Marrakech to Merzouga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:15