We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheelchairs in souks and on trips

wales
Level Contributor
169 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
wheelchairs in souks and on trips

as Im in a wheelchair, how easy will it be for me to visit the souks and go on the trips, Ive read not to hire a guide for the souks but as my husband can get lost between the bedroom and the bathroom I think we might have to

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,570 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wheelchairs in souks and on trips

Getting around the souks and town in general should present little problem as the terrain is fairly flat in most places. Sights such as Dar Si Said (a private museum) and Palais Bahia have several floors which may not be possible but the viewings on ground floor and gardens are very impressive.

The souks are on flat ground and easy to navigate alhthough there are many souks scattered over a wide area.

I am not a great believer of using guides as it is more fun to lose ones way to discover new sites.

I have known people coming here with a wheelchair and had great difficulty and actually cancelled day trips but please don't let that put you off. Discuss your requirements with the tour operator and see what they say. One person I know was told they would carry him up the steps into the coach but this was too much and he cancelled.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wheelchairs in souks and on trips

There are several local people here in Marrakech who use wheelchairs and who do not seem to find negotiating the souks to be a problem. The main tourist souks are concentrated in the central north medina and have very few steep gradients. Also the people of the medina are incredibly accommodating and if you are perceived to be in any difficulty there will always be someone to lend a hand. Accept their aid thankfully - they do not expect any form of remuneration apart from a "shukran" - thank you! The same is true for excursions. There will always be people around to assist you if needed.

On the subject of guides I agree with john9159 above. They really are not needed and have a reputation for leading the unwary into places (carpet shops are the notorious example) where you would rather not be. If you feel that you are lost just ask for "la place" (pronounced "plass") and you will be shown to the main central square, Djemma al Fna, where you can reorientate yourselves.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,485 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wheelchairs in souks and on trips

you might find it useful to hire a guide for your first half day to help you find your way and then go it alone.

wales
Level Contributor
169 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wheelchairs in souks and on trips

http://www.moroccoaccessibletravel.com/ Ive found these for trip, I can manage a few steps and stairs but thats about it, Im hoping to see as much as I can

5. Re: wheelchairs in souks and on trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:18