We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

Hi

I am traveling alone in May to Marrakech and I am looking for a 2 day/1 night trip to desert. I see there are some that provide private trips but which is good for someone traveling alone on a budget? Let me know what you recommend and how much it would cost. Thanks so much.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

The 2 day/1night trip is not recommended - you will spend too much time on the road and see very little of the sand dunes.

Go for at least 3days/2nights (or ideally 4 days) to make it worthwhile

You will find group tours that you can join when you get to Marrakech, they are not so easy to find online and prebook

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

Thanks for the advice. I am only looking for 2 day/1 night and wondered the average price of that. I don't mind the driving.

thanks

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

It will be 10 to 12 hours of driving each way, crossing a major mountain range. You will have no time to relax and enjoy the country or visit any of the wonderful sights along the way. And given your likely inexperience of driving a stick-shift car in Morocco there's a good chance this would end in grief.

I always recommend four days and would suggest that if you don't have four days, you find something else to do.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

... and I can continue to what Tim writes to you

apart from sitting so many hours in the car you come then to the desert late, when it is dark, so you cannot see anything. Early morning you have go back so you cannot see anything either.

So skip the desert if you have not more time, it would be waste of the time and money also.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,256 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

Hi,

I hope you don't need it and heed what the others have said but I have to agree that you don't have time to enjoy a desert trip. Rethink what you want to do or allocate longer for a desert visit.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

Thank you everyone for your input. Why then are there group trips that go for 2 day/1 night to desert? That is what I am looking for, a group trip, not to drive alone. I will most definitely try for a 3 day trip now with the overwhelming push for 3 days. Thanks!!

cheers

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

"a group trip, not to drive alone. "

But you wrote, "I don't mind the driving." Did you mean you don't mind the sitting in a vehicle?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

yes sitting not driving. I don't mind the travel in general.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

“Why then are there group trips that go for 2 day/1 night to desert?”

Because this is Morocco and it’s the oldest scam in the book and they’ll tell you anything to get your cash. They make nearly as much out of you by doing the trip over 2 days than if done over 3 so why tell you the truth and prolong the trip just so you have a nice time! I do love Morocco, but they are the worlds best “business men” who can sell ice to the Inuit’s and scam the skin off your back.

I too am jumping on the band wagon to advise you to avoid 24 hours of driving (in a very cramped van with little or no A/C in 100 deg heat) for a couple of hours in the sand.....in the dark! Even if you set off at 5am you’d only arrive there around 4 or 5pm which is around the time the sun goes down.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 day trip to desert/traveling alone?

My answer to you, Beth:

the other day I found this, and because it reflects what I feel , I want to share it here on this forum so that we see what is the difference between the different ways of traveling :

"THE JOURNEY OF THE SOUL.

We travel to discover, to need to run away or escape, traveling also to relax ... but often it is just physically ... you move from one location to another.

The luckiest detach the plug from a life that doesn't belong to a limited period of time, then go back to before ... some even cannot unfortunately to disconnect even on the road.

Then on the other hand, there are those who are able to undertake the "journey of the soul". It is a unique journey, from which it will return to the previous condition ... is a journey that will revolutionize every day and that accompanies you throughout the journey of life ...

It does not stop the limited travel concept understood as physical movement ... but it's a much longer journey, much deeper, a journey that every day will bring up a piece of the real you.

It is a path to follow with ease with awareness ... taking all that reserve life by treating it as a gift. Never give anything for granted, with serenity and awe.

Yes, because everything still amazes us, reports every time a breath of life in us ...

Will become a journey of love.

The desert puts people in front of your mirror ... to their fears and their dilemmas. But even before the true being and the people of the desert you put in front of what is the real feel and true live ... full poverty of wealth ... wealth into poverty ... and smiles for everyone:)

I also hope that this sharing ... you get all those who weren't with us ...

We live in a world that is more and more towards the ephemeral and non-existent ... and sometimes we get lost in this ...

But it is fascinating to find ... "