We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of ATM's are they?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
What type of ATM's are they?

Hi, I apologise if this has been asked before; I've read that there are ATM's on arrival at the airport.

Can you tell me what type they are? By this I mean, are they the ones where you put your debit card and ask for your desired amount of money? Or are they the ATM's, where you put in GBP notes and receive MAD notes out?

Thank you in advance.

Nichola

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What type of ATM's are they?

You use your debit card: the withdrawals will be in dirham notes. You can only change UK£'s at the banks and bureaux des change. Inform your bank before departure to state that you intend to use a debit card in the ATM's here. See "Banks & Money" under "Top questions about..." top right of your screen for additional very useful information.

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What type of ATM's are they?

Thank you for the clarification Pilobolus2011.

Nichola

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,028 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What type of ATM's are they?

Hi,

There are a few of the Sterling (or whatever) in, Dirhams out ATM's in town if you want this service.

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What type of ATM's are they?

Thank you shimmin2robertson for letting me know.

I have used this type of ATM in Egypt many times and just find them a little easier (in the sense my bank will charge me to use my debit card on each transaction when withdrawing money abroad) as we do not have them in the UK or at least I've never seen one.

Nichola

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What type of ATM's are they?

>>my bank will charge me to use my debit card on each transaction when withdrawing money abroad<<

Yes, but you probably get a better exchange rate when you use your debit card than you do when exchanging cash.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What type of ATM's are they?

Nichola, do you know how much the fee is that your bank charges for each debit card ATM withdrawal in Morocco?

If you take the maximum allowed each time you make a withdrawal you save on fees charged.

7. Re: What type of ATM's are they?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 04:16