We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

Hi all,

I visited Marrakech in 2012 and my tour operator took me to a store with a massive range of gifts/souvenirs. My aunt is travelling soon and unfortunately, I cant remember the name of the shop!

If it helps, I could try describing it. First of all, it was not near the Jama al Fana. It was very big store with proper checkouts/cash registers and all prices were fixed. They also stocked very large household items/furniture and I also fondly remember their sci-fi/movie sculpture section with items made from mechanical pieces and nuts/bolts.

So, does anyone know the name of this shop? Its a long shot but no harm in asking I guess :)

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

I know the store your talking about , its on about 4 floors, all the taxi drivers try and take you as they get a bung ,When I went they had some seats made from bike wheels , its opposite the big church im the medina but cant remember its name

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

If it was within the medina, specifically the Kasbah district it probably was

ETS Bouchaib: Artisanat Marrakech

www.complexeartisanal.com/‎

Rue de La Kasbah, Marrakesh, Morocco

+212 661-193202

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,350 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

Most likely Bouchaib, as mentioned . There is a large store just off Bab Agnaou. Both are touristy.

Mentioned in this post
Bab Agnaou
Bab Agnaou
83 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

MatthewVH: where is the church in the medina please?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

Not sure if it was a church but its a large pink building , set back in front of some seats and a small paved area

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

The link above goes no where when I copied and pasted, although this one does: http://www.complexeartisanal.com/

If it's the one I think it may be, bearing in mind there are numerous such places, I do not advise anyone to go in as they sold ivory products when I was last in there.

Whilst such places are a feast on the eyes, you should remember that they are intended more for tourists and by spending more times shopping around you will find cheaper elsewhere. Of course you will be expected to haggle hard with some traders but if you want to save money, and maybe get something of better quality, you will have to do some shrewd negotiating with alternative traders who do not show prices.

By all means go in and look around but do not be pressured into the (sometimes) hard sell tactics. You can then make notes of prices and try elsewhere.

7. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 10:59
Edited: 14 April 2014, 10:59
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,935 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

Hi,

The "church" referred to is the Mosque de la Kasbah.

Just my opinion but the Ensemble Artisanal on Avenue Mohammed 5 is a nicer place to shop for fixed price goods.

Mentioned in this post
Ensemble Artisanal
Ensemble Artisanal
1,075 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

A slip of the tongue shimmin2robertson.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Forgot name of shop in Marrakech!

So "its a large pink building" was a "slip of the tongue" also? Don't make me laugh please! Marrakech is full of large pink buildings. It is why it is known as the Pink City after all! .

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech