We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech to Fez

Beerwah, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Marrakech to Fez

Hi my husband and l are going on our first trip to Morocco in October. This question has probably been answered somewhere already but l cant seem to see it. We would like to travel from Marrakech to Fez using an inland route (not via Casabalanca) I dont think there are trains that go that way.??? Is it buses or grand taxis from town to town. Would there be buses more than once a day. Or will we have to take the more direct route a train via Casablanca. Our plan is to try and make our own way around Morocco.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech to Fez

Marrakech to Fes is well served by the rail network. Seven hours and ten minutes. Frequent service. Buses can be taken but the journey time is longer. Grand taxis between cities are an incredibly expensive option: Marrakech to Fes for example is over 500 km. Schedules for trains and the coach company Supratours here:

www.oncf.ma

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech to Fez

The CTM bus takes 9.5 hours and costs 160dh. There are other operators you could use. Grand taxis if organised on a collective basis (i.e. buy a seat in the taxi and wait until it fills before it leaves) is probably a bit more expensive and might involve a changeover en-route.

What guidebooks are you using?

Beerwah, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech to Fez

Hi Tim

I have the lonely planet book. I have only just started to research our trip. We land at Casablanca. We were then going to train it to Marrakech do a camel treck tour out of Marrakech. Then rather than get the train back to Casablanca then to Fez l had hoped to go to Fez then onto Chefchaouen then Tangier then Rabat then to Casablanca then home to Australia. Was hopeoing not to back track on our journey

Regards

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech to Fez

I'm a little confused about the camel trek tour part. Do you mean you are going to the desert at Erg Chebbi or Mhamid?

If so, you would travel to either of these places by car/bus and then do the trek once you arrived. You wouldn't need to return to Marrakech but could continue on to Fes. It would be by bus and you'd need to allow plenty of time in your schedule.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 16:31
Beerwah, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech to Fez

The camel treck is a tour that picks you up in Marrakech then returns you to Marrakech.

6. Re: Marrakech to Fez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 14:12
Hong Kong, China
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrakech to Fez

that is very similar to the itinerary i have planned. see my thread here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293730-i9195-k738…

i have heard that you can negotiate with the desert tour to end in Errachidia, instead of returning to marakech. that way you can take a taxi to fes. However, it would be great if anyone can confirm this.

Beerwah, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrakech to Fez

thanks will check out your thread

J H
Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marrakech to Fez

Hi

We are taking the desert tour out of Fes and returning to Marrakesh. Our company will do the trip in reverse.

This helps in planning your travel.

Have fun.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marrakech to Fez

If you want to do travel from Marrakech to Fez using an inland route (not via Casabalanca) then you should take CTM bus, not the train. The train go via Casablanca.

If you will do the camel trek after to be in Marrakech and want not return, then you can do this usual route and go via Erg Chebbi to Fes and in that case you can take Supratour bus. But it depend of how long time you will be in Morocco because for to enjoy this trek you need at least 4 days.