We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ourika Valley- Day trip Advice

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
41 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Ourika Valley- Day trip Advice

Took a day trip to the Ourika Valley with Pampa Voyage tours which was a 'shop' establishment in the medina. The owner became friendly with us on our first day walking by and we went back to book and sat and drank tea with him and he told us about his family etc. We were required to pay half the trip prce up front and told that we would be picked up at our riad for the tour the next morning. Unfortunately it was all downhill from there. On the morning of the scheduled tour no one turned up at our riad. 45 minutes later we walked up to the shop which was just opening and told them. The man proceded to make several calls and it became evident that we had not been booked on the tour. We were then walked around 20-30 minutes through the souks to the back side to a petrol station where the tour bus was filling up and about to leave. The man refused to admit that we had not been booked on the tour but there were not enough seats on the bus and 2 people had to sit up front. We decided to join the tour anyway, even though we had been forgotten, led around aimlessly and were not happy because it would be a shame to miss the Ourika valley. The day was long and drawn out by several stops at tourists traps where you were pushed to buy things that were overpriced. The hike up to the waterfall was nice but not for anyone a bit unfit. Althpugh not aproblem for us it would be a shame to get there and miss the main attraction so i would advise anyone going to wear sneakers and be ready for about an hours walk uphill. Overall i was extremely disappointed with the company Pampa Voyage and would highly advise people to use another option. I do not know if all the organized tours are so hit or miss but would be interesting to hear others experiences. They charged us 250 (about 25 euros) per person and then pushed commission buys all along the way. I recommend visiting Ourika Valley but i certainly would go with a different company.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,160 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ourika Valley- Day trip Advice

Hi,

Just out of interest, why did you do this rather than ask the riad owner to help organize a day trip?

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ourika Valley- Day trip Advice

I second Shimmins point. All riads I've stayed in have organised excursions, either private or shared, and they know the best, most reliable people to book with, and have fair prices.

If you book with someone in the street you are taking a chance. You may save a few pounds but you usually get what you pay for.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
41 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ourika Valley- Day trip Advice

Good question. I did not feel that the riad offered a fair price. They offered a day trip to the ourika valley for 55euros per person and required an additional fee for the car/drive there (another 30pp euros if I recall correctly). As the place we decided to go with was a proper business, with an office etc. it seemed legit.

The most frustrating thing of the entire experience was that the company refused to admit any wrong doing. They claimed that they were just late picking us up, but later we asked the driver and he said our riad was not on the list of pickups. I understand things happen but a simple apology would have gone a long way. Instead we got excuse after excuse and dragged through the city only to just catch the bus before it left.

I have heard stories about these things happening in Marrakech fairly often but I wanted to give the people the benefit of the doubt, having spent nearly an hour sitting with them, drinking tea and listening to the stories about their family etc. Its very poor business to treat people poorly and I hope that others do not have this same experience.

4. Re: Ourika Valley- Day trip Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 14:12
5. Re: Ourika Valley- Day trip Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 06:15