We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sandhurst, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

Hello, we are a family of four staying at the Atlas Targa Hotel in August, we are all inclusive bit would like to eat out a couple of times.. Please can anyone recommend some restaurants in the centre of Marrakech as well as the hivernage district where the hotel is located ? Thanks .

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,295 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

what kind of food and budget do you want?

do note that Atlas Targa Resort is not in Hivernage - Targa is actually the name of the area, it is primarily a residential zone about 15/20mins out of the main centre, not many restaurants around there so you need to get taxis everywhere.

check the reviews under the 'Restaurants' tab at the top of the page

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

Don't rule out eating at one of the restaurant stalls at Djemaa el Fna square at night. There is a wide variety of food to be had, at great prices too. A culinary and cultural experience all in one!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

I agree with boringFS , A trip to Marrakech isnt complete without a visit to the Grills in the square

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

Also, please don't worry about needing "family restaurants" as Moroccans love children and they are welcome everywhere. You'll see lots of Moroccan families eating at the stalls in the square.

If you want very upmarket, fine dining restaurants it might be worth taking the ages of your children into consideration but otherwise all the café-restaurants will be fine for you.

If you like meat, I highly recommend trying out the lamb at mechoui/meshwi alley, just off the main square. I don't really like lamb and don't eat it in the UK but I gorge myself silly on it in Marrakech. It tastes like nothing else on earth and it is very cheap! Plus, it is not a tourist trap - you'll be eating local food with local people which makes it an experience not to be missed.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

Hi,

There are plenty of restaurants in Hivernage but unfortunately that is nowhere near your hotel.

I agree that I've never seen a restaurant in Marrakech where children would not be made welcome.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 19:29
Sandhurst, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

Thanks for all your replies and comments. If anyone knows of any restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, please let me know. We have no set budget and would love to sample the local cuisine.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

I really think your only option will be to get a taxi or the hotel shuttle into the city itself. The AI resorts tend to be further away from things because they expect people not to want to leave the hotel complex, so they don't need a central location.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,295 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

You really won't find anything within walking distance - the nearest place I can think of which is good for families is still a taxi ride away (halfway between your resort and the city centre), but it is a French creperie not local food: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293734-…

Your best bet is to look at restaurants within the Old Town as you can take the hotel shuttle bus

Edited: 28 April 2014, 00:52
Sandhurst, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

Thanks - if anyone can reccomend any specific restaurants in the old town, that woud be great. I have also heard that the lamb sandwiches from the stalls are lovely ?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,295 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family restaurants in Central Marrakech and hivernage

here you see info about the lamb sandwiches (mechwi) - even if you dont eat there (I eat there but many visitors dont feel comfortable due to hygene) it is worth going to have a look:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293734-…

Apart from that I like 'Un Dejeneur A Marrakech': tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293734-…

The new Cafe Clock has weekly activities that your family might enjoy so check their schedule