We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech - Erg Chebbi Group Desert Trip

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Marrakech - Erg Chebbi Group Desert Trip

My sister and I are interested in doing a 3 day / 2 night desert trip from Marrakech to Erg Chebbi in early June. Have had a look at lots of different tour companies, all of which do basically the same trip. Have been quoted between 275-350 Euros per person, depending on accommodation choice at Dades Gorges. All the tours that we have found seem to be private groups. We would be happy to join a small group tour to reduce costs, but haven't been able to find anything.

1. Are there any small group tours from Marrakech - Erg Chebbi - Marrakech that you would recommend?

2. The second night is spend at a desert camp in Merzouga. Do all the tour groups stay in the same camp in Merzouga?

Thanks,

Emily

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech - Erg Chebbi Group Desert Trip

you can find cheaper group tours when you get to Marrakech - the online agents tend to push the more expensive private tours

try and go for a 3night tour is possible - you spend too much time on the road with the 2nighter

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech - Erg Chebbi Group Desert Trip

Personally, I would agree with nibrika and say that 2 nights will not really be enough. The desert is an experience to be savoured and you won't find it as incredible after 10 hours on the road.

However, I also know that time and budget play a part so if you have to do the 3 day/2night, make sure you get the tour that suits you best.

There are different camps used by different guides. Some are traditional and very basic, you will sleep on a mat in a sleeping bag on the sand. Some are luxury camps which are basically like being in a hotel room in the desert - flush toilets, showers etc - however these would likely be beyond the price range you want.

Some camps are reasonably small, others are larger. You want a camp that is away from the village and also away from other tourist camps - light and noise pollution from other tourists will spoil the illusion that you are all alone in the sand! Even if you have a private tour to take you there, it is likely that you will be sharing the camp with other people from other tour groups.

You definitely need to check that the vehicle you are travelling in is comfortable, well-upholstered and has air conditioning. You can get really cheap places on shared tours but sometimes it means being stuck in the back of a minivan with lots of other people. It's up to you whether you are happy to forego comfort in order to save money so always check first before paying.

Also make sure you know what is included in terms of accommodation and meals.

Booking before you travel may be more expensive but gives you peace of mind if you are a bit of a worrier (I am! I have to have everything planned before I leave home!). Otherwise you should be able to find a place on a tour once you get to Marrakech. If you are staying in a riad, they should be able to help you out with information.

3. Re: Marrakech - Erg Chebbi Group Desert Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 06:15