We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sterling or Euros?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sterling or Euros?

Can anyone advise if its better to just take sterling and exchange at airport for dirhams? Do the souks accept english sterling if shopping in medina etc or( paying for spa at hotel for example) or prefer trading in euros/ dirhams? Would really like some clarity on this thankyou!

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sterling or Euros?

Morocco is a cash-based society and you will be paying for everything in dirhams. Although there are a few places that will accept euros, you will get a terrible exchange rate so it really isn't worth it.

Take sterling to exchange at the airport or in the city (the exchange rates at Hotel Ali on the square are always good) OR use a bank card to withdraw cash from an ATM. If you do use a bank card, please check the charges incurred by your bank first, or you could end up out of pocket.

Another option is a pre-paid credit card such as FairFX Anywhere or Caxton Global. These also allow withdrawals from ATMs or can be used in places that accept MasterCard - ie supermarkets.

Check out the "Banks and Money" link on the right of the page under "Top Questions" and you can also use the tool on MSE to check whether your bank card is worth using abroad moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sterling or Euros?

Thank you so much for replying had many different pieces of advice thanks again think I will change some at airport there and some at hotel if needed.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sterling or Euros?

When you get to the airport, there is a bureau de change just next to the baggage carousels. There will be a huge queue so don't bother with it. Just grab your bags and head through to the exit. There are more places to change money there and they will be far less crowded. Plus, they normally offer a slightly better exchange rate.

You'll no doubt be hassled by people asking if you can exchange euro coins for dirhams - that's the result of people paying for things/tipping in euros!

I suggest having two wallets/purses. One with the majority of your money in and one with just a few dirhams. Money belts are also a good idea.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 17:35
southampton
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sterling or Euros?

hi LaLico. we're going first time in june. how do hotels compare for exchange rates? thought we would change a small amount at the airport for tips and then change more as and when we need it. i know most airports dont have very good exchange rates - is it the same in marrakech? i would rather change cash than use my bank card. i usually keep that for back up.

thanks

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sterling or Euros?

I don't know how the large hotels compare, I'm afraid. The rates are set by the Moroccan government so you won't find huge differences between places - unless they are unofficial.

For example, it might be something like 12.7 at the airport compared to 12.9 at Hotel Ali in the square (I don't know the exact current rates, those were the rates the last time I changed money). You can also change money at banks and various bureau de changes in the city.

Be aware that for tips you'll want low denomination coins which you may not get at the airport. The amount of ready cash you need depends on whether you're eating out a lot, doing a lot of shopping or sightseeing etc.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sterling or Euros?

Hi,

Large hotel and airport exchange rates are not as good as the many bureaux de change and banks in both the new town and the medina (Hotel Ali caters for backpackers so is always a good bet for current official rates but the bureaux tend to all be the same). The rate may change slightly from day to day but it's really not worth shopping around as any variation will be minimal in town.

Please can I emphasize the point about not tipping in anything but local currency. You've no idea how annoying it is to be constantly asked to change Euro or Sterling coins into Dirhams for the poor locals who cannot change them themselves without schlepping out to the airport to do so at a dreadful rate of exchange!

Edited: 29 April 2014, 23:23
southampton
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sterling or Euros?

i agree. if i was a waitress or whatever here and was tipped in a foreign currency, dont think i would be too happy either !

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
167 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sterling or Euros?

take out money from the numerois ATMs. EASY and convenient. The rate Can lasi be better than exchanging cash.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
167 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sterling or Euros?

take out money from the numerois ATMs. EASY and convenient. The rate Can lasi be better than exchanging cash.

10. Re: Sterling or Euros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16