We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

Denver, Colorado
8 posts
Save Topic
Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

I'm trying to orginize a one day trip to the Chebbi Dunes from Marrakech, this Tuesday June 17.

If it's going to happen, we'll leave at 02:00 ~ 03:00. It's a 4X4 with a driver, (as advertized). We'll have about 2 hours there and head back to Mkch around 13:00. Not for the faint hearted or those that need a lot of rest and shopping brakes. There are 2 of us, so there will be room for 1~2 more very ambitious people. We will share the driving. I've inquired on several "Adventure" sites regarding the same, waiting for a reply. (From someone that realizes there are more than 17 hours in the day)

Any "Privateers" out there?

Thanks

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

You say 4x4 with driver and say you’ll share the driving. I don’t think a hired driver will ever let you do that. It’s a self-drive or a car with driver.

Also, if you are driving yourself, driving at night in Morocco is extremely risky, especially when tired. Driving to Erg Chebbi and back could take between 18 and 20 hours if you’re lucky and only stop for a pee, which would indeed leave you 3 hours in the sand, but driving there/home on hair pin turns on mountain sides, in the dark with huge trucks looming around every turn….possibly with no lights on…is not a good idea and would be putting yourself at unnecessary risk.

No need for a 4x4 as all the roads to the dunes are paved apart from the last tiny bits. If you have 4x4 desert driving experience then cool, but if not then, again, you’re putting folk at risk. Not just yourself, but those locals who would have to help you if things went teets up.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

Hi,

Not a very sensible plan for the reasons Kate outlines and I'd be surprised if anyone was foolish enough to join you.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

What? It is really foolish, sorry. Go to Erg Chebbi from Marrakech, stay in sand dunes 2 hours and then go back to Marrakech again? And tour company will let you drive also? This I heard the first time, not only that you would drive self but even this crazy trip.It take 12 hours without stop, one way, then you have to go 12 hours again and you want to sit in the car therefore 24 hours for to be on that place 2 hours?

If you are sensible, don't do it, it is waste of the time and money also. And you will not enjoy at all.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

If you are going to leave at 1300 after having two hours there, it seems you believe you can get from Marrakech to Erg Chebbi in just 8 hours. Well you most definitely can't.

Morocco isn't a race track. And driving at night time is a definite no-no, especially driving against the clock. Would I join a trip in which tired but excited happy-go-lucky 'adventurers' were driving for the first time in Morocco in a strange vehicle? NO!

Naïve to the extreme. An accident waiting to happen.

Denver, Colorado
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

Thanks all!

And I thought it was going to be a booring drive.. I'll take the kids after all ! (We'll use the headlights Kate) Can't be any worse than Alex-Deasert Road.

The good stuff is tuff

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

You are insane and dangerous but good luck!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

Kind of you if you write report then, I am curious how it was going and if you got value of the trip also, thanks. And good luck.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

I’m sure you will have lights on. What I mean is that there are about 25% of the other road users who don’t (including huge lorries, donkeys, bikes and children) which makes driving at night very dangerous.

So are you hiring a car or getting a car with driver as you still haven’t clarified which you mean, you seem to be a little confused about what your actually doing which will influence someone’s decision to join you or not. Like I said, you can’t share the driving with a paid driver. If you are hiring a driver and 4x4 (4x4s being very expensive), you are probably being ripped off as you don’t need one.....it’s a classic scam to fleece more cash out of newbees to Morocco or folk who haven’t been down that way before.

It’s a shame you’ve been so dismissive of sound advice from experienced travellers in Morocco as this will put many travellers right off wanting to join you. The reasons folk are raising these points are not really for your benefit but for those who may be considering joining you. Gung-ho attitudes are great in the right situation (like on the sports field or on computer games), but not advisable when driving in a developing country with strangers in the car.......it tends to put folk off a wee bit!!

A final bit of advice.......I strongly advise against displaying this kind of attitude in Morocco as Moroccans hate cocky westerners (especially Brits and Americans) and will make you a target for a right royal ripping off at best and a target for serious trouble at worst. Being gracious and accepting is the order of the day in Morocco (whether you agree or not), otherwise the locals will make your holiday a living hell. I see from your other posts you’re taking your 18 year old daughter, a rather good reason to take sound advice from experienced drivers in Morocco.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

At least have a plan B. When you reach Ouarzazate having crossed the High Atlas Mountains you will still be less than a quarter of the way on your trip. Evaluate at this time whether you should instead be exploring the gorges or something less onerous.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick trip to Chebbi Dunes?

+ for Kate