We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
17 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

I'm looking at all the photos of beautiful riads in Marrakesh and trying to choose one with a nice pool, but in most of the photos there is not a single soul in the pool. Are people too embarrassed to use them or be seen in a swimsuit because it's a Muslim country? Or is it because many pools are in the central courtyard and it's just too public?

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

Yes people do use the pools. Most are only dipping pools, which are great to sit and cool off in but not big enough to actually swim in. Some riads do have larger pools capable of swimming a few lengths and I've seen one of those used - although not by me, I spare people that sight!

I think the reason the pictures don't show people in the pools is so that they can show the area off to its full advantage - adding people to photos tends to obscure any detail work that might be in the tiling etc.

Plus, most people like to think of a riad as quite personal and private - almost like their own home - so they don't want to see others using "their" pool. They choose riads so they don't have to stay at the AI resorts where everyone is crammed together round a pool and you're sharing your holiday time with a few hundred other tourists!

I'm pretty certain it's nothing to do with it being a Muslim country. It might surprise you the amount of ladies underwear being sold openly in the medina - some of it quite sexy! Besides, the riads wouldn't offer a pool if there weren't happy for it to be used.

I'm quite partial to a pool on a roof terrace where I can sit in the dark at night, dipping my feet in the cool water whilst sipping tea and listening to the muezzins call the adhan all over the city.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

Some pools are only big enough to sit in and are too small for swimming. Some people may be embarrassed to dip in the pool in the main courtyard where everyone can see. No issues around dress and religion - if you want to dip then do it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

I've seldom seen a riad pool used, they tend to be in the centre of the courtyard and people feel uncomfortable using them in full view of other guests. They are also usually very small.

Also, I believe they are, strictly speaking, not allowed in the medina, for reasons of water shortage, although that law, like the alcohol law, seems to be flouted by many.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

I seldom swim other than in Morocco and it usually takes a beautiful Marrakech riad to tempt me into the water! I'm not a natural swimmer, but there is something very special about the setting of, say, Riad les Yeux Bleus or Villa des Orangers. There are usually a few other people to keep me company.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

Quite a few have smallish pools on the upper floor, eg Dar Najat, Riad Clementine, and they are well used.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

Courtyard pools may indeed be quite small but are usually big enough to splash about in and cool off. Many guests, rather than feeling uncomfortable, like to socialize around and in the pool having a drink and chatting about their day in the medina.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
17 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. It's good to know I'll be able to have a dip when we go there in September. I'll try perhaps to pick a place with a rooftop pool.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

we used the courtyard pooling, a very small dipping pool, to cool off. a few others did the same. but the water is very cold, because they are usually in the shade.

i think riads rarely show guests in any of their pictures, be they pool or otherwise. and i, for one, do not want to be part of anyone else's holiday snaps or brochures!

9. Re: Does anyone actually swim in the riad pools in Marrakesh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:16