We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sending grandparents

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
sending grandparents

Our Grandparents tend to holiday in the uk and are true country folk. We want to give them a taste of the real Marrakech all be it a gentle one. Any suggestions for English speaking Riads. Good places to eat traditional food. A guide. They are in their late 60s and its a surprise till they get to the uk airport and read their destination.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sending grandparents

In my opinion, this Surprise may not be a good idea.

You should tell them about your plan and see what they think about it.

You cannot send them to Marrakech completely cold, not knowing anything about Morocco.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sending grandparents

Thank you for your reply. I have travelled many times to countries that are deemed as 'different'. I have in fairness told my grandmother and she is excited. Will only be our Grandfather (my Father) who has no clue. Life is far too short and they have missed so many enriching experiences. Having bought me up my wanderlust must have come from somewhere. Perhaps surprise conjures up images of fun rather than experience. By pushing personal boundaries you can only imagine what could be achieved. Lets not put a limit on what older people can achieve when faced with something different to visiting Spain (I love Spain). I do thank you for your concern and totally understand what you are saying.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sending grandparents

Hi,

Have you visited Morocco and Marrakech yourselves? With the best will in the world it is not a destination to arrive at without any idea of what a culture shock it can be to some people.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sending grandparents

Will they know how to get the local money?

How will they communicate?

Plus, there are dangers in Marrakech that you may not have considered.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sending grandparents

Shimmin2robertson. Thank you. I have not been to Marrakech but yes to Morocco and Eygpt many many times. Just back from Luxor. I am looking to introduce them into Marrakech which is why I asked for knowledge of English speaking riads.

David I find you post totally unnecessary and not at all helpful. ATM s are available. Money can be changed at the airport and banks. They will communicate by speech. They are not going to Mars. Dangers!!!!! Why you have just posted on another page that the news is lying and not to worry and enjoy. I must stress that currently everybody needs to be aware of their surroundings. I will now leave as I could rant all evening. But I won't as I am too busy.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 19:04
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sending grandparents

Hi,

I'm definitely not trying to put you off the idea at all. My old Ma visited Marrakech many times over the years and once confident would go out and about by herself making friends with shopkeepers and stopping for chats with folk. Moroccans tend to be respectful to older people so I'm not worried for your relatives.

But....Ma knew where she was going and had been primed about what to expect before she first came plus she had me here to guide her at first. Even the most helpful English speaking riad staff can only offer so much help and advice. They will however have contacts with registered guides if you feel that would help at the start. They have to specify no shopping if they don't want to be trailed round shops.

Loads of authentic eating experiences from street and café food to upmarket restaurants if they want a treat. The restaurant and hotel tabs at the top of the page should give you plenty of ideas and suggestions. Remember though that most reviewers will only have stayed in one riad on their only visit to Marrakech so you have to make comparisons by looking at quite a few. Sending a message via their profiles to a few reviewers with specific questions can be useful.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sending grandparents

Thanks. I am glad Ma liked it. That did make me smile. I think I still might be a bit sore after seeing Egypt dying with no tourists so talk of danger is really on the ground floor not helping. People must read the crime rates for New York. Hopefully people will return but it has been going on too long.

I would not send them if I didnt think 'They could do it' im not that mean ;/ I will browse through the reviews at the weekend I think I was being lazy by asking. Shopping is a must. I will be asking for a rug as I have a spare place on my wall for another one. The one I just bought in Asyut isnt as big now its home. Now that should take a day up. They are only coming for 3 nights. Another day I thought the Atlas mountains?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sending grandparents

Hi Jill M!

Even if our friends expert do their best to give a help for avoiding some bad experiences and are pretty right for lots of things... I’m for my own pretty sure too.. that your parents will have a great time and do agree with you ..they are not going to go to a war scenery.. and will just enjoy their stay with only some common sense and a little knowledge even if after arrival.. they should be fine indeed!

Regarding a day trip to Atlas, can be also a good idea indeed if they want to see real nature or you might also try Essaouira on the coast which is a real cool city too:

Sure your parents will enjoy their stay.

cheers! Oliver.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sending grandparents

Wow. I have just been reading all about your place Oliver and it stood out. Will message you if thats ok.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sending grandparents

As a very rough rule of thumb, the more expensive riads tend to be those with the best English-speaking staff. The very best spoken English of all that I have encountered in Marrakech was at Riad Kniza in the north-west of the medina. Their service is impeccable, their cooking superb and I'm sure they would do a great job of looking after your parents.