We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for ladies please?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for ladies please?

We're spending 4 nights in Marrakech this month. Have just been reading on the BA website that the dress code for ladies is that arms, legs and shoulders should be covered at all times in the old city.

Is this correct? Also what about for men?

Many thanks

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for ladies please?

That advice is a bit extreme. You will see Moroccan women wearing skin tight jeans and skimpy tops - walking right next to a veiled friend. The part about shoulders being covered is not necessary, btu a good idea. The more modestly you dress, the less unwanted attention you receive. Skirts (knee or lower) and capri pants with a T-shirt or something similar is perfectly acceptable. I've even worn sleveless tops - as long as they're not low-cut and I'm wearing them with trousers or a long skirt (to cut down on the overall flesh exposed).

People who ask the question about dress code are always really surprised to see how moden (and sometimes risqé) the local girls dress. Be comfortable, dont expose too much flesh in public, and it will be fine.

Letchworth G.C...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for ladies please?

Like in any other muslim country, to show a bit of respect to the locals in your dress code is always a good idea. However, Morocco is quite a modern country in that sense and you will see a lot of different attires worn even by local women. Having said that, it depends where you are (i.e. wearing less in a trendy restaurant at night can be ok but not if you are visiting a religious site) and also how skimpy your dress is!

I have seen some tourists wearing next to nothing, showing complete disregard for local customs. However, Moroccans are very civilised and relaxed. They will not bother you but they may stare. If you like to be stared you can wear what you like, but if you like more anonymity just wear what you would normally wear , taking with you a light pashmima to cover your shoulders/arms when you feel it would be appropriate. Shorts are also widely worn, although personally I wouldn't.

I am sure you will be able to enjoy the nice weather without having to endure the heat completely covered head to toes! Enjoy Marocco!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for ladies please?

Superb response by Fassia. Moroco is a country in transition and there are still more conservative areas; however, as a whole the country is moving very much ahead in just about every way possible. It's not quite as open as Europe or other places, so some modesty is certainly advisable. But being too extreme in dress isn't necessary. The major tourist cities (of which Marrakech is number one) are used to seeing tourists and won't be offended too much by what you wear.

4. Re: Dress code for ladies please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 07:20