We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning prayer call in Marrakech

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning prayer call in Marrakech

Hi

We are considering going to Marrakech for a short break next year and want to stay somewhere luxurious, authentic and central where we won't get disturbed by the early morning call to prayer from the mosques.

Can anyone recommend to me?

Thanks loads.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning prayer call in Marrakech

I really doubt you can find a riad in the Medina of Marrakech where you can't hear the call for prayers. I have lost count of the mosques in the medina. I fyou need peace and quiet try a hotel or riad in then palmeraie

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning prayer call in Marrakech

Unless you are a really light sleeper you are unlikely to even hear the first call to prayer, but as truebeliever says its so pervasive that you won't ever be out of earshot staying within the medina...

And if you have to put up with it once or twice, so what? That's part of this culture and you can look on it as an exotic experience...

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning prayer call in Marrakech

Actually, I am a light sleeper - toddler to blame, and that's the reason I don't want to be woken up. A short trip away away from our daughter and the opportunity NOT to be woken up by ANYONE!!!

Can you recommend any luxury accomodation which fulfils our needs?

Thanks in advance!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning prayer call in Marrakech

We stayed in the Atlas Medina Spa which was great and quiet it is about a 10min taxi away from the center or a 25min walk. You will not here anything.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,979 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning prayer call in Marrakech

I know what you mean. I hate it when you go to the countryside for a break, and get woken by mooing cows.

There's an area called the Palmeria which is away from the central bustle, but I have to question why you chose Marrakech if you don't want to hear the sounds of the city. double-glazing salesmen don't do well there.

Perhaps somewhere like the Kasbah de Toubkal might be more your cup of mint tea. Authentic, etc

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning prayer call in Marrakech

thanks for your note.

will look at other areas that are a 'stones throw'.

happy for authenic but not at 5am!!!

7. Re: Early morning prayer call in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 12:21