We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian eating

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
marylan
7 posts
Save Topic
Vegetarian eating

we are going for out honeymoon and I am vegetarian. any suggestions on where to eat, what items to order and how easy it is to find food for vegetarians. I'm ok with eating dairy and eggs. we will be traveling to casablanca, marrakesh, fez, ouarzazte, erfoud and rabat. Please help.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian eating

Although meat is king on the Moroccan table, I think you'll survive on seven Moroccan salads, Berber tagine( the only vegetarian tagine) and omelets

enjoy it

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian eating

I agree with Truebeliever. The country does have wonderful produce, and there are a few staples which have no meat which you can ask for. Bear in mind, however, that the best vegetarian options are often times only found in the humblest of restaurants.

In other places, if you request something such as a veggie cous cous, they'll simply take the meat out of it and serve you the rest!

Some good veggie options:

addas-lentils, often spicy.

hoummous- chickpea stew

loubia- white bean stew

bessara-fava bean and garlic stew

maqqoudah- batter fried potato fritters, often comes in a sandwich!

Ordering something, "blah laham, blah djaj, blah hoot" means "without meat, chicken, fish".

Or asking, "kayn (laham, djaj, hoot) feeha?" means "is there (meat, chicken, fish) in it?"

Europe
Level Contributor
2 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian eating

thank you for all the veget. suggestions and dictionary.

Hoummous is often with garlic. How can I say without garlic ?

"blah garlic" ????

thanx in advance

snövit

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian eating

This is not hummus as you know it. Hummus is simply the Moroccan word for chickpea. They are often boiled whole and served in a mild broth. Garlic is used very sparingly here, if at all.

Europe
Level Contributor
2 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian eating

To Fassia,

thank you for your fast reply.Unfortunately even a little garlic upsets my stomach very badly, so how can I ask the right question for being sure there is NO garlic in a meal?

How can I ask for a simple plate of grilled or cooked vegetables, i.e. aubergine, zucchini, carot, tomato, accompanied by either rice, potato

couscous or bread ?

your help is greatly appreciated, many thanx

snövit

Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian eating

Hello!

Did you go to Marocco? Did you manage without meat? We're about to go to Marrakech and the South and we are vegetarians.

Thanks for your reply!

Julie

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian eating

My wife and I are travelling to Casa in a couple of weeks. Not only does she not eat beef and is allergic to salmon, but she is VERY allergic to carrots. Is this a regularly used veggie???

Thanks,

Rap

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarian eating

Hi will be in Marrakech from 8th March till 13th. My girlfriend does not eat meat although does eat seafood. I was not initially worried about food for her but have noted many restuarants are not ala carte but set menu.

Does anyone know if my girlfriend will be ok and be able to get veggie/seafood meals?

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarian eating

REPOSTING>>>

My wife and I are travelling to Casa in a week.

She is VERY allergic to carrots.

Is this a regularly used veggie???

How do I explain that they will make her sick?

I don't speak French or Arabic.

Thanks,

Rap

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegetarian eating

je suis alergique aux carrotes( I' m alergic to carrots) je ne veux pas de carrotes dans mon assiette ( I don't want carrots on my plate) I hope this helps

regards